what could i use the eSATA port for?

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
i have been wondering what the eSATA port is on my pc and cant really find nothing much on it ive had on my current motherboard and my last one from a long time ago and i even had one on one of my old cases
i looked up some eSATA external hard drives and mostly all of them hard somewhat bad reviews

thinking about a super high speed external hard drive sounds pretty sweet but are they even worth while?

mostly just wondering how i could utilize it if i ever decided too lol
thank you :)

Solution
I use mine when troubleshooting PC's. I set it's attached port as hot swappable. Then I use a standard sata cable and external power cable to attach hard drives I need to backup. Really eSATA is dead IMO, especially with USB 3.0 now common place.
I use mine when troubleshooting PC's. I set it's attached port as hot swappable. Then I use a standard sata cable and external power cable to attach hard drives I need to backup. Really eSATA is dead IMO, especially with USB 3.0 now common place.

Solution

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

i found a video of someone comparing it to usb3.0 sorta seems like usb3.0 before usb3.0
so its pretty much dying out and not really used other than in your case, that you use it for

whats the firewire port for? never really seen anything that had to go through that

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

ohhhhh okay thought about one time getting an external hard drive to record gameplay to and what not but i didnt know if it could write fast enough so i would get massive fps drops if i was recording

eSATA's biggest problem was a lack of power delivery. Even eSATA flash drives needed to be plugged into a USB port for power. eSATA is just a standard sata port with some reinforcement added. So it only worked for hard drives and only desktop hard drives at that.

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014

ohhhh okay :) well thank you i was just curious as to what it was for :)