Question What could of made my copy of Windows 10 Home edition switch to Windows 10 Pro edition without my consent?

hicks451

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Dear TH Members,

I built a new computer about a month ago and loaded it with Windows 10 Home edition. I was loading in some system monitoring software that goes with my motherboard and after doing a system scan to get up all of the information about my system I noticed that it said I was running Windows 10 Pro edition yet I only installed Windows 10 Home Edition? Can anyone let me know what would of allowed my copy of Windows 10 Home Edition switch to Pro Edition without my knowledge? I purposely installed Home Edition to have less bloatware on my computer and I know most people would be happy to have it converted to Pro for free but alarm bells have rung as it has switched to Pro without even telling me it has done so. I have gone over all of the Windows updates but I cannot see anything there that might have changed it for mew so I was hoping someone might be able to help me on this matter and explain to me why Windows may have changed from Home to Pro without my permission. Thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Titan

hicks451

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
And that source is 99.9999% of the cause.

That is NOT a valid place to purchase a Windows license. Or any other licensed software.

And it says right in your link...Windows 10 Pro.
Sorry I sent the wrong link. I edited the post and added the correct link to Windows 10 Home. I also used my Xbox to purchase the key so apart from inputting the key in to my PC when I was loading Windows 10 Home that is the only link it had to that site? It also came recommended from Greg Salazar on Youtube. Fixing a Viewer's BROKEN Gaming PC? - Fix or Flop S1:E1 - YouTube

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry I sent the wrong link. I edited the post and added the correct link to Windows 10 Home. I also used my Xbox to purchase the key so apart from inputting the key in to my PC when I was loading Windows 10 Home that is the only link it had to that site? It also came recommended from Greg Salazar on Youtube. Fixing a Viewer's BROKEN Gaming PC? - Fix or Flop S1:E1 - YouTube
Youtube people promote sites like that because they are paid to promote sites like that.

hicks451

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Youtube people promote sites like that because they are paid to promote sites like that.
Well like I said the only thing that had any link to my PC was just the Key. I got the ISO file direct from Microsoft and loaded Windows 10 via a ISO USB that I created so just adding a Keycode shouldn't be the cause of Windows 10 switching from Home to pro and I haven't seen an influx of people complaining about getting keycodes from that place. I also do own a legitimate Windows 10 Pro Disk that I used on my last build but that was an OEM version and was tied to my last motherboard so I was unable to use that for this build and also purposely wanted Home edition this time to cut down on bloatware from Pro that I was not going to use and my new PC does not have a disk drive on it so I couldn't use that disk anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
The ISO file direct from MS, no problem.

The issue is the license key from that place.

You purchased what you thought was a Win 10 Home license.
They gave you a Win 10 Pro license.

Applying a Win 10 Pro license to a Home install will change it from Home to Pro.

Hopefully, that "license" won't disable itself sometime in the near future.
There is no special valid place to purchase a Windows license for cheap.

hicks451

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I would also like to add that the Key Code must be legit as I keep on getting asked to upgrade to Windows 11 and I would not have bought the key code from that site if I thought for one second that it was not a legitimate Microsoft Windows 10 Home Edition Key. I have bought every legitimate copy of windows from 95 to Windows 10 Pro and this is the first time I have ever just bought a key and I mainly did that due to not having a disk drive on my PC and having to use a USB instead. So what type of things could actually cause Windows to switch from Home to Pro?

USAFRet

Titan
I would also like to add that the Key Code must be legit as I keep on getting asked to upgrade to Windows 11
No, that does not necessarily denote "legit".
It is activated "today", and as such may prompt you to change to Win 11.
That activation may not last.

When you see one of these sites like that selling a Windows license for significantly cheaper than direct from MS...you have to ask yourself, how?

So what type of things could actually cause Windows to switch from Home to Pro?
Inputting a Win 10 Pro license on a Home install.
Or, having a different Win 10 Pro license associated with your MS account might do it.

Thats it.

hicks451

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
No, that does not necessarily denote "legit".
It is activated "today", and as such may prompt you to change to Win 11.
That activation may not last.

When you see one of these sites like that selling a Windows license for significantly cheaper than direct from MS...you have to ask yourself, how?

Inputting a Win 10 Pro license on a Home install.
Or, having a different Win 10 Pro license associated with your MS account might do it.

Thats it.
Ok thank you for your help. Much appreciated.