What could possibly be the problem?

sorxrob

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I have a Lenovo laptop and when I try to turn it on, it displays something like this

P8KKy27.jpg

LCD is not the problem here because at first everything is clear and suddenly it goes like that. Then when I restart, it takes me to checking media and then efi network ipv4 thing.

When I enter BIOS, the hard disk is also not detected.

What could possibly be the problem here?

If you pivot the screen on the hinge does it cause it to come and go? Or does it just go this way after some time and stay that way until it's rebooted?

If it the first, then it could be that the cable from the panel to the motherboard has worked loose at one end of the cable.

If it's the second, it could be heat related. The longer the system is on, the more heat accumulates and causes the GPU to artifact. If this is the case, usually cleaning the dust out of the fan and heatsink assembly can fix this. It's tricky on laptops, especially if you don't wish to take it apart to get at it. If you wish to do it without disassembling the laptop, you can direct blasts of air into the fan intake and the heat exhaust. Use short bursts of air so that you don't get the fan inside spinning too fast as this can damage it. Keep hitting it with short bursts of compressed air until no more dust comes out.

sorxrob

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

What do you mean pivot the screen on the hinge? Yes it just stays until I restart. I guess you are right with that it has a loose cable inside because I tried opening it 2 months ago if I remember .

What I mean by pivot is when you open and close the lid. This causes the hinge to pivot. The cable is generally run down one of the hinges and pivoting the hinge can cause the cable to flex which could pull / push at the connector ends. If one of them is loose (panel side or motherboard side) it could cause intermittent contact. However with this sort of behavior the corruption should come and go if you move the screen up and down on the hinge. If it consistently stays after appearing regardless of how much you move the hinges, then it's not an intermittent contact issue.

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
what he means to say is that there could be some loose contact somewhere.. however, AFAIK, in cases of loose contact, I've only faced the screen being in only one colour.. either Red, Blue or Green.. never like distorted or something..

The off hue colors as you mention only occurs with VGA connections. Laptop panels are not connected via VGA (RGB), they are typically connected on a mini version of DVI. The loss of a few bits can cause all sorts of odd display problems. Sometimes the display just doesn't work, other times you get severe corruption.

However as I've said, if it doesn't come and go with the movement of the display, it is probably more something to do with temperature.

If it were a system RAM issue, I think the OP would be experiencing other things like BSOD's and reboots. If the laptop in question has a dedicated GPU though, then it's VRAM could be failing. However in this case memtest isn't going to find anything as it can't test VRAM.

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
that's wrong on so many levels.. if you have another laptop, try to install the RAM from this one to another one and test it whether it's working.. AFAIK, the on-board chips like GPUs etc, can't be fixed/replaced, if it needs to be done, it'll be an expensive task.. if it's under warranty, get it exchanged..