Question what cpu and motherboard sould i get for my gpu

Mar 19, 2023
I got a rx 5500 xt and I want to get a new motherboard and a cpu for my gpu and i'm not sure about what to buy because i don't really know what to check if the parts go well together any recommendations?

What will you use the system for, Gaming? What's your budget ? Prefer AMD or Intel CPU, or both ? Which Motherboard and CPU are you currently using ? Make and model of your current PSU, assuming you have one ?

Also, provide your current Monitor's resolution.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023
What will you use the system for, Gaming? What's your budget ? Prefer AMD or Intel CPU, or any both ? Which Motherboard and CPU are you currently using ? Make and model of your current PSU, assuming you have one ?
I use the system for gaming yea my budget isn't that high after all my gpu doesn't require too much from what i know so around the 300 - 400$ my cpu right now is really old (intel r core tm i5 7400 cpu ) and my motherboard is also old (H11M-R). i do have a PSU but i don't know the model is there a way of knowing without opening my pc?

IDProG

Distinguished
There's no need for an upgrade. Your GPU is too weak to make any CPU upgrade from your current one worth it.
You should've bought a stronger a GPU if you want to upgrade the CPU.

Mar 19, 2023
There's no need for an upgrade. Your GPU is too weak to make any CPU upgrade from your current one worth it.

oh, ok i wanted to upgrade my cpu because of overloading problems every game i play gets my cpu to 100% is there anything i can do about it?

oh, ok i wanted to upgrade my cpu because of overloading problems every game i play gets my cpu to 100% is there anything i can do about it?
The thing to pay attention to is both CPU and GPU usage during your games. If your CPU usage is 100% while your GPU usage falls below 100%, then your CPU is holding you back.

There is the option to buy the i7-6700K used for around $75 on Ebay (or the i7-7700K for ~$100). You may need a better cooler if you do that.

Do you have the 4GB or 8GB model of the RX 5500 XT? You may benefit from PCIe 4.0 on a new motherboard+CPU.

Mar 19, 2023
The thing to pay attention to is both CPU and GPU usage during your games. If your CPU usage is 100% while your GPU usage falls below 100%, then your CPU is holding you back.

There is the option to buy the i7-6700K used for around $75 on Ebay (or the i7-7700K for ~$100). You may need a better cooler if you do that.

Do you have the 4GB or 8GB model of the RX 5500 XT? You may benefit from PCIe 4.0 on a new motherboard+CPU.
i got the 8 GB model and i am planning on buying the AMD Ryzen 5 5600 cpu and GIGABYTE B550M D3SH AC mother board. you think it will work?

Mar 19, 2023
I got an rx 5500 xt 8 GB and i wanted to upgrade my mother board and cpu because both of them are old, so i was thinking about buying a AMD Ryzen 5 5600 cpu and GIGABYTE B550M D3SH AC mother board, will it work?

I use the system for gaming yea my budget isn't that high after all my gpu doesn't require too much from what i know so around the 300 - 400$ my cpu right now is really old (intel r core tm i5 7400 cpu ) and my motherboard is also old (H11M-R). i do have a PSU but i don't know the model is there a way of knowing without opening my pc?
You don't have to spend that much money, $200 should be enough. This should suit your purposes:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 - $130.43 (includes CPU cooler)
Motherboard: ASRock A520M-HDV AM4 - $70

You can use your existing RAM with this setup, it will be more than enough for your RX 5500 XT and you'll be able to upgrade to an R7-5800X3D later on. An A520 motherboard doesn't support overclocking but you don't have a K-SKU i5 so it's clear that you don't overclock anyway.

Jun 3, 2023
i got the 8 GB model and i am planning on buying the AMD Ryzen 5 5600 cpu and GIGABYTE B550M D3SH AC mother board. you think it will work?

Please make sure to buy 5600 or 5600X but NOT 5600G. It may seem like a no-brainer since it's cheaper/same as non G, so free iGPU/APU but it's actually a worse processor than the non G variants.