Question What CPU can I upgrade to with my current setup?

Oct 17, 2019
I'm looking to upgrade my cpu and was wondering what is compatible with my current setup.

Setup:
Ram: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Power: 350W
Current CPU: AMD FX-6300

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with Phaaze88. Would be wise to overhaul, you won't get much more even if you upgraded to an 8350 and also bare inmind 2nd hand risks.

Imho go Ryzen.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($78.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $344.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-17 02:10 EDT-0400

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The above Ryzen suggestion is a good one. There's nothing on your current platform worth upgrading to.
An FX-8350 would certainly push the limits of your current motherboard and power supply; you might even get lucky and damage something, so please don't bother with a cpu only upgrade.

Oct 17, 2019
The above Ryzen suggestion is a good one. There's nothing on your current platform worth upgrading to.
An FX-8350 would certainly push the limits of your current motherboard and power supply; you might even get lucky and damage something, so please don't bother with a cpu only upgrade.
I know, I'm asking what I need to upgrade and what the best parts for upgrading would be before I am able to get a good cpu.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I know, I'm asking what I need to upgrade and what the best parts for upgrading would be before I am able to get a good cpu.
Cpu/motherboard/ram/psu
^All of this needs to be changed, at the very least. There is no single part upgrade to be done here.
You haven't stated a budget - likely because you were only expecting to change the cpu, but that won't be enough in your situation. The combo as suggested by @boju is a good start.

Reactions: boju
So im looking to upgrade my cpu, what can I do to make that possible?

Depends on what your budget is. But at the very least a new CPU, RAM, and Motherboard.

You can get away with $217 if you want a baseline 200GE system. ($80 MB. $80 Memory, $57 CPU) But that's a bit of a down grade.

An AMD 2600 can be had for $118. That's faster then what you have. However your graphics cards would be the bottle neck then.

Or you could go all bells and whistles and get $2000 worth of overhaul.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm looking to upgrade my cpu and was wondering what is compatible with my current setup.

Setup:
Ram: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Power: 350W
Current CPU: AMD FX-6300
With a current FX-6300, your only upgrade is a whole new system.
CPU/RAM/motherboard/PSU.

About the only thing you might keep is the case and the physical drives.

TRENDING THREADS