What CPU cooler to choose?

n0af

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
My budget is 80$, I want a air cooler that's not too big, but can handle overclocking a i5 4690k to about 4 Ghz. The Noctua ones are pretty good, but the fans are ugly (I'm going for a black/white color scheme). I've also looked at the BQ Dark Rock 3, not the Pro version, (the Pro wouldn't fit in the S340) and it seems okay, but I'm not sure about the temps. So, what are your suggestions? Could I just get different fans for the Noctuas, go with the Dark Rock 3, or something completely diferrent?

DasHotShot

Honorable

Does it have to be air? You can easily afford closed loop water cooling which will shatter most air coolers for temps and noise

n0af

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
@DasHotShot

Which AIO will beat a air cooler at 80$? The only 80$ AIO I could find was the Kraken X31, which isn't a really good performer. It's really hard to compare the prices here where I live and in the US.

DasHotShot

Honorable

Where do you live?

Chayan4400

Honorable

Tell us what country you are from, so we can suggest some coolers that are available in your country.

n0af

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
@Archaic59

Are you sure it's better than the Dark Rock 3? It costs 20€ less on the German Amazon, and I can easily afford the Dark Rock 3 which I can also get in my country.

n0af

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
FYI I live in Croatia (Europe). Probably haven't heard of it eh? The prices are comparable to German Amazon (where I can order from), but prices can vary.

EDIT: Most of the stuff is available here. The Cryorig stuff isn't but I'd order it from Amazon.de if it outperformed everything else.

The H7 is designed more for good cooling, perfect fit and ram clearance. For pure performance, the Cryorig R1 Ultimate linked by RCFProd is the best and beats Dark Rock 3 easily.

Kohwali

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Just as a friendly suggestion I recommend stating that you live in Germany in the first post. It helps when people provide links to parts and the dollar to euro conversion isn't always as clean. :)

IMO those Cryorig air coolers look pretty nice, especially that R1 Ultimate. Find some air coolers you like the looks of in your price range and find their respective temperature benchmarks. This should help narrow down your results a lot.

n0af

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
@Chayan4400

Sadly, the Phanteks doesn't fit in my case. It's available but too big. The only suggested one that fits is the Cryorig H7. I'm not sure if I should give up on the case and get another one (case has to be white).

0x1eef

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Pity you don't want Noctua.
Dark Rock Pro 3 is an excellent cooler, with 1-2 degrees difference with Noctua D14. It's a PITA to install, though. Dark Rock 3 won't perform worse on your CPU, so you may go for it.
Cryorig seems to dominate air cooler market now though I wasn't able to get my hands on it.