[SOLVED] what cpu cooling solution should I use with my ryzen 5 3600?

Jan 25, 2020
I bought my 3600 used, it came with the wraith prism cooler that had the 'updated' hexagonal thermal paste pattern on it and the H/L switch. Temps were 47~56c on IDLE so I thought that was pretty hot for the cpu sitting around. I wanted to update my cpu cooler, but I am not sure which option is overkill and which option would be adequate. I plan to overclock my cpu by just a moderate amount, no crazy liquid nitrogen or anything like that. However, last week my dad had gifted me a used NZXT m22 AIO for christmas which I installed right away. The fact that it was used, there was no thermal paste present so I used the tiny, tiny amount of some generic amazon tube paste I had. Idle temps are now sitting at 37-41c as we speak, running cinebench for 20 minutes never surpasses 73c. My noctua nt-h1 paste should be arriving on monday, so I am wondering is this what is considered normal for the 3600? or should I settle for something better? I am unfamiliar with cpu temps, and I was also considering the 212 evo or the arctic freezer duo.

Solution
41C AND 55C in the cyberpunks. Runs maybe little cooler in rdr2 and sottr. Not sure whats happening when run the cyberpunks but it a little warmer. Would guess maybe new thermal goop lower max temp a little but idle seem about right. Ryzen cpu runs hot and I undervolt mine to help temps a little. Loss of fps almost unnoticable in the games. Wanting to add 2nd rad here but best guess maybe help with heat soak a little and temps maybe 2-3c cooler. Not big gain so no hurries.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Nice Christmas gift. you must return the favor with some eau de cologne or box of chocos.

73 is good, your idles are a tiny bit high, but where do you live? If your winter is sub-zero and room is under 15, then 40 for idle is a bit high.
you don't need to change the AIO, it's doing fine. just wait for new TIM.

Don't buy new freezer, if you want more liquid, soak your gpu.

Jan 25, 2020
Nice Christmas gift. you must return the favor with some eau de cologne or box of chocos.

73 is good, your idles are a tiny bit high, but where do you live? If your winter is sub-zero and room is under 15, then 40 for idle is a bit high.

Don't buy new freezer, if you want more liquid, soak you

Don't buy new freezer, if you want more liquid, soak your gpu.
my setup is next to a fireplace temps 22c-26c

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
41C AND 55C in the cyberpunks. Runs maybe little cooler in rdr2 and sottr. Not sure whats happening when run the cyberpunks but it a little warmer. Would guess maybe new thermal goop lower max temp a little but idle seem about right. Ryzen cpu runs hot and I undervolt mine to help temps a little. Loss of fps almost unnoticable in the games. Wanting to add 2nd rad here but best guess maybe help with heat soak a little and temps maybe 2-3c cooler. Not big gain so no hurries.

Solution