Question What CPU/GPU to buy for video editing?

heartagramm

Reputable
Jun 4, 2018
I'm currently using a laptop (i7-4720HQ, 16 GB RAM and a GTX960M 4 GB), and I have issues on timeline editing on free video editors that I use. I mainly use OpenShot, DaVinci Resolve and HitFilm Express.

I'm looking forward to updating into either Ryzen 5 2600 / 7 2700X or equivalent Intel parts. With the programs stated, what kind of system would you recommend to buy? I have to buy the mobo, RAM, graphics card, SSD and PSU + case. I don't use the PC for gaming at all, so the newest and shiniest GPU isn't needed, unless I get some gain from it for the editing.

Could someone give me pointers? I'm trying to keep the budget in under $1500 USD (I purchase the parts from Europe).

heartagramm

Reputable
Jun 4, 2018
Thanks for a quick answer ebosss03. Are there any significant benefits of choosing the 2700x over the 2600/X? How about a Radeon RX 570 8 GB? I do the filming with YI 4K+, Oneplus 6, Insta360 One X and Nikon D500. The GTX 1060 6 GB was in my purchase list last fall, now they're either out of stock and/or are quite expensive compared to an RX 570 fro example. Even though I do have quite open budget, if there are no serious gains from choosing this or that, I don't really want to spend any more than I really need.