What CPU is comparable to mine?

leksaloffe

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018
I have an Intel Pentium G3258 CPU @3.20GHz OC'd to 4.3GHz. Since I'm not very good with computer stuff, what would be comparable to it? Like what i3, i5, i7?

Nothing really since there are no 2 core 2 thread core I series cpu's. Dual cores are nowadays really struggeling simply because games need more than 2 cores no matter how powerfull these 2 cores are. Single core performance wise your's should be a bit better than a 4770k at max boost.

leksaloffe

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018

Would an i3 go on the same motherboard?

My motherboard is MSI Z97 PC MATE

Yes, you can fit an i3, i5, or i7. What you have to look for is one that is the same generation that fits your motherboard, (4th-gen Haswell LGA 1150, i3/5/7-4xxx). So an i3-4160, or and i5-4670K or 4690K or i7-4770K or 4790K. Since you have a Z-series motherboard, you can get a K-series i5 or i7 and overclock it. 4th-gen Haswell does not have an overclockable i3. Or if you were on a budget you could get the cheaper i5-4590 or i3. These are all best found used on eBay or similar.

What GPU do you have?

If you are upgrading because of gaming, I would suggest not getting an i3. Going from dual core to dual core isn't worth it. Go with an i5 or i7. As mentioned you do have a z mobo so would suggest an aforementioned k cpu.

His other thread says 1050ti.

True, but he's got a Z97 mobo already, so it would be simple to just buy a 4th-gen i5 or i7. I would agree, even though a 4th-gen i3 would be better than the Pentium, it's not really worth it. Go with a 4th-gen i5 or i7; or if you want to spend the money on a full system upgrade then an 8th-gen i3 would be just as good.

leksaloffe

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018

So would an i3-8350K 4GHz Quad Core be a good upgrade?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You can't use the new generation on this motherboard. You need a Haswell CPU, which means CPUs witih designations in the high 4000s. If you want to buy a new motherboard and RAM as well, a new one would be a decent upgrade, but given you already have a Z97 build, on a budget, a high i5/i7 is a better idea.

That's an 8th-gen (i3-8xxx), you need a 4th-gen (i3/5/7-4xxx) to be compatible with your motherboard and RAM. I would suggest a used i5-4670K or i5-4690K.

Like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-3-5GHz-Quad-Core-BX80646I54690K-Processor/302839256886?epid=197367348&hash=item4682a05736%3Ag%3AdyMAAOSwm%7Exbbgh-&_sop=15&_nkw=i5-4690k&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0

leksaloffe

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018

Is it better to buy a used CPU? Is there a difference between a brand new one and a used one? It seems like it would be a good upgrade for me since I don't have much cash and its quite cheap.

Right now the cpu is the issue. 8gb ram is fine. The whole rest of the system should be upgraded if you are going to get more ram. Once you upgrade to i5 or i7, a gpu upgrade would help gaming the most. A ssd is nice and all and I would never get a system without it but if gaming performance is your concern and money is limited, you may want to hold off on it.

His specs from the other thread:
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 overclocked to 4.3GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM
GPU: MSI GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Coolermaster GX 650W Bronze
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE
Hard drive: 1TB HDD

A new CPU would be better only because of the warranty, but Intel CPUs very rarely fail as in hardly ever. A used CPU could have been abused, and may not overclock as high as another CPU, but that goes with any CPU new or used. Some overclock more than others. A new i5-4690K would cost more than the original new price simply because they don't make them anymore. Kind of like finding a completely stock, excellent condition antique car (though the i5-4690K isn't exactly antique, they just don't make them anymore) the car would cost more now than it did when it was new. Supply and demand. So it's better to pay $115 used than $300 new.

leksaloffe

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018

Okay, thanks. My friend told me it would be more worth it at this point to buy a whole new computer, but since I'm quite limited on cash I don't really know how I'd do that. Is he right though?

Unless you just wanted to buy a used i5 for around $100, then yes it would be better to buy a whole new CPU/Motherboard/RAM setup.

You'd always want to buy used for such old hardware anyways but a cpu upgrade would still be capable. I still run a 2500k, 8gb, 1060. Runs anything I need. If you have the budget, it would be nice to get a whole new but if you don't, you just have to deal with what you can afford. With a low budget, you still don't want to buy low end cpus like an i3. You'll end up with the same issue that you need to upgrade soon. In the long run it saves money to buy higher end parts that last longer before needing to upgrade. Then you may only need a gpu upgrade like my pc did.

leksaloffe

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018

I don't really have any problems other than slight game hitching, something like there is in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk1xWw_o_xo

I heard an SSD would help, but would a new processor help too? Also game loading times are slow.