What CPU/Mobo can hold me over for gaming until LGA 2011/Ivy Bridge?

unknown11

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
This will be my first computer build.

I was orignally planning on buying a 2600K with an ASUS P8P67 Pro to use with my GTX 560 Ti that i have now. then i learned how close it is until the release of the next gen CPUs (LGA 2011/Ivy Bridge).

I know that by then, the i7 will be moderately outdated. this line of 2nd gen Intel proccessors is what I believe to be the last of the quad core era, and Bulldozer and IVy Bridge will mark the beginning of the hexa/octocore era.

i am planning on getting an 8-core LGA 2011 CPU when that time comes.

i have decided that i am going to wait until Q4 to make a rock solid CPU purchase (that will last me 2+ years)

now, i just need something that will enable me to play any game that will come out until then with max settings @ 1080p (with good FPS, of course)

I just need the CPU and Mobo. nothing too expensive either. i want to keep it under $400. SLi support is not necessary as i will only use this 560 for this year and upgrade to a GTX 660/670/680 next year and SLi that.

I am OK with Intel or AMD for this build.

I think you are on the wrong track.

1) Gaming performance is determined more by the graphics card than the cpu.

2) There are very few games that use more than two cores out today, certainly not more than 3 or 4. FSX might be an exception.
Why not?? Because game developers want the largest possible audience for their games. Once you get past two threads, it is much more costly to develop multi-tasking programs. Games won't sell if they require 4 or 8 cores to run properly.

3) The 2500K is a fine gaming cpu, the best around today. With a P67 motherboard, and an oc of 4.0 or better, you will not run out of compute power for games. Once you have at least two cores, the clock rate and architecture become the most important thing. Hyperthreading is not that helpful, and the value of added cache on the 2600K is unknown. The 2500K is better since it will OC to about the same upper limit.

4) Current 1155 motherboards will be compatible with some ivy bridge processors when they launch next year. Only a motherboard bios update will be required.

---------------------bottom line------------------
stick with your original sandy bridge plans.

unknown11

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

bingo. i am planning on using FSX on my computer with 3x1080p monitors, and this is why i am going to get as many cores as i can afford (even for future Flight sims)

You might do better to post on one of the flight sim forums. They should have better info on what works best with FSX.

How close? Ivy Bridge isn't launching until around next January. LGA 2011 is Sandy.

For most gaming, a quad is just fine. I see little reason to wait for an LGA 2011 for gaming.

A Sandy Bridge Quad will do just that. Of course, that's also highly GPU dependent.

I'd just get a 2500 or 2600k, personally. I see nothing to indicate that you need an LGA 2011 (Sandy) or 22nm (Ivy).

According to my son ..... while there was a significant difference from 1 to 2 cores, the increase going to 4 was rather ....ehhhh, no big deal.

http://www.key.aero/view_feature.asp?ID=23&thisSection=simulation
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/microsoftflightsimulatorx/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-48704029&pid=931252

As for the future of MSFS

http://www.flightsim.co/2010/01/facts-emerge-future-of-ms-flight.html

My son has a bunch of them .... he's a pilot .... I'd have called him for advise but it's after midnight :)