[SOLVED] What cpu + motherboard can I buy with £200 second hand

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Hi,
Im looking to upgrade my i7-4790 cpu as it doesn’t support ddr4 but will need a new motherboard as well. I’m looking to spend £200-300 on second hand (if not new) on them total. I’d like a 6 core preferably was looking at 8700k but it’s to much out my price range. I mainly game and program.

thanks

Solution
Even this would be new:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£132.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.44 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £252.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-26 16:59 BST+0100

Single core the Intel is probably still on par, but you get the additional corea and multi-core speed, as well as a new platform.

If you went used you could get a 3rd Gen Ryzen potentially.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I know it’s not a mega difference but I did want a new cpu and motherboard as they were getting old but now I’ve upgraded and put it all in correctly and now my cpu is running at 80-90 on idle, how can I help this, could it be the thermal paste??

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I know it’s not a mega difference but I did want a new cpu and motherboard as they were getting old but now I’ve upgraded and put it all in correctly and now my cpu is running at 80-90 on idle, how can I help this, could it be the thermal paste??
Just "off" thermal paste application will not lead to these temps unless you put none on at all. It sounds more like the cooler is not correctly seated or connected, I would reseat the cooler adequately and review the cooler manual to ensure all steps are covered.

cool master GX 550w bronze
How long have you had this? Problem is it's not great quality, irrelevant of wattage.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But what difference does this make??
For details you can see point #1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Poor quality PSUs are not built for many systems we use them in, and it can often lead to instability and even damage. The problem is people think that if a PSU has enough wattage, then it's fine, when in reality, it's not just about what power is says it can deliver, but what it actually devliers, and HOW it delivers/distributes it.

The most common mistake i encounter is poor quality PSUs causing mass instability and damage in systems. The number of times I've had to tell someone "sorry, your PSU probably just took out your GPU" is pretty profound. Everyone spends a lot of money on main components, then cuts cost on the bit that ensures the safety of those components.

It is just something to be wary of. The GX is not a great PSU, it is not terrible, but it's not really appropriate for most dedicated GPU systems.