What CPU (+ Motherboard/Chipset) do you recommend?

timclyma

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
Hi.

I would like some advice on what CPU (+Motherboard/Chipset) would best suit my computing needs. This can be summarised as follows:

 Intensive digital imaging user (Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator) - using high-end 3rd party plugins,
 Listening to downloaded MP3 music files,
 Compiling music CD’s,
 Downloading large files,
 General Internet browsing & e-mail,
 Word-processing,
 NB. I don’t play any games!!!

What do you recommend and why?

What about 64 bit computing? - is it a good idea to invest in this technology now, given my computing requirements?

I would appreciate a spectrum of suggestions from cheaper “value for money” options up to higher-end systems.

I am willing to pay for the right set-up!

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Regards, Tim Clyma.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Intensive digital imaging user (Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator) - using high-end 3rd party plugins,
DUAL Power MAC G5 should be your first choice! :smile:

But, if you want to get a PC. A P4 will be a bit faster than AMD64 in most graphic apps. If you have enough money, you should consider the <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040619/index.html" target="_new">new LGA775 platform</A> from Intel. This platform will be future-proof and if you need 64bit computing power in the future, you will only need to swap your CPU and install Windows XP 64bit Edition.

As you said, you don't play games, so buying an AMD Athlon 64 system would not gives you any benefits (unless you buy a 3700+, 3800+ or FX-53) aside from being already 64bit ready. If money is no object, the current AMD high-end offering, the 3800+/FX-53 is a bit faster than Intel P4EE, and it's cheaper.

Recommendation :
CPU : Pentium 4 520 (or higher, depend on your budget)
MB : Asus, MSI or Abit MB
MEMORY : 2x1Gig of DDR2-533 ram

--
Asus A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> (tbred @ 167x12)
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500LE 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
 Listening to downloaded MP3 music files,
Good speakers

 Compiling music CD’s,
Fast burner

 Downloading large files,
Good broadband internet connection

 General Internet browsing & e-mail,
Good antivirus and firewall

 Word-processing,
Good keyboard

 Intensive digital imaging user (Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator) - using high-end 3rd party plugins,

Depends. If you're working on huge files and/require lots of RAM, I wouldkeep the door open to 64 bit computing, even though there is no guarantee Photoshop, Illustrator or your plugins will be ported to 64 bit windows anytime soon.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =