[SOLVED] What CPU should I buy for nvivia rtx 2070 for gaming?

Dec 21, 2018
My current CPU is out of date, I would say, I need to choose a motherboard also.
My video card is too outdated and I can't play new video games. I have decided to buy NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070.

So, I have the following specs:

SSD: INTEL 530 Series SSDSC2BW120A4K5 120GB, 2.5", SATA III
Power supply: Aerocool Strike-X Power 800W
Video card: MSI nVidia GeForce GTX 760, N760 TF 2GD5/OC, 2GB, GDDR5
Motherboard: ASUS H97-PLUS, LGA 1150, Intel H97, ATX
RAM: KINGSTON KVR16N11/8 DDR3 — 8GB 1600, DIMM
Processor: INTEL Core i7 4770K, LGA 1150 OEM
Cooler: ZALMAN 9900MAX

I want to buy nvivia rtx 2070. Since chipset is too outdated I need to buy a new CPU.
What should I buy? Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake (3600MHz, LGA1151 v2, L3 12288Kb)? Is it good enough for gaming? Should I buy Intel i9? New processor supports new chipsets with DDR4/DDR5 with faster memory, more threads and more L3 cache.

My motherboard supports only RAM with 1600MHz, but i want to buy new RAM: VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit.

At the moment I play League of legends, destiny 2, star wars battefront 1 (I have too low fps for battlefront 2).

Also, I have Alienware AW3418HW, so I have G-sync 4k monitor.

What processor should I buy? Afterwards, I will choose motherboard and RAM.

Solution
The i7 4770K is good enough for all those games listed. I would first get a 16gb of ram, which is extremely cheap used now for DDR3. Than the video card. The RTX 2070 isn't a 4K gaming card. It will struggle, you need a 2080 or 2080Ti to play @ 60fps for most games. However those games listed are not new or very demanding, you could probably play them at 4K on a 2070 just fine.
Strictly speaking you don't really need to upgrade your CPU at this time, especially if you are gaming at 4K where you are going to be severely GPU limited. About the only issue with your current platform is you might be a bit low on RAM for newer titles at only 8GB. Whether you'd want to just get some more DDR3 and ride things out for a little longer or move to a new platform is up to you.

If you do really want to upgrade and have your heart set on an Intel chip, then the 9700k (or even an 8700k if it can be had cheaper) are great gaming CPUs. The i9 isn't really any faster with current games due to them not scaling well across that many cores and threads. You could also look at an AMD Ryzen system with something like an R7 2700x. Intel does still retain a performance edge in gaming, but that doesn't really apply at 4K where you will be GPU limited in virtually every gaming situation.

As for RAM, 32GB is outright overkill for a gaming PC, getting two 8GB sticks for a total of 16GB will offer much better value. It's only really worth going up to 32GB if you are also going to be using this computer for certain RAM intensive productivity tasks.

iamacow

Admirable
The i7 4770K is good enough for all those games listed. I would first get a 16gb of ram, which is extremely cheap used now for DDR3. Than the video card. The RTX 2070 isn't a 4K gaming card. It will struggle, you need a 2080 or 2080Ti to play @ 60fps for most games. However those games listed are not new or very demanding, you could probably play them at 4K on a 2070 just fine.

Solution
Dec 21, 2018

Well, I want to buy it for future games also. Thank you for your comment, I will consider 2080 too.

If you really concerning about a huge future step then just go for the i9 with 2080 aside but remember more cores doesn’t means more gaming power. Especially with in the games that you already mentioned, they will not use more than 4 core even at the full graphic settings. Your current processor will be enough for what you expecting. Save some for RAM, PSU rather than spending entirely on a CPU which is pointless in nowadays gaming. If looking for upgrade the just go for a i7 9700K which is cheaper and also hold same level gaming performance like i9 9900K.

iamacow

Admirable
I honestly think the video card and ram is the only necessary upgrade for now. A jump from i7 4770K to a i7 9700K will be about 10 fps just from the CPU alone. But it won't be much benefit with a old 760. Probably see no change.