[SOLVED] What CPU should I buy? Ryzen vs Intel

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
I am currently having an i5 7600 non K, paired with a 1060 6gb DDR5X and looking forward to a significant upgrade this summer. I'm using my rig mainly for gaming (now 1080p 60hz but thinking of a 144hz).
I know Intels are better in gaming, but their usage can go up to 95% (as seen in benchmarks) while Ryzens stay at 50% (max). I am kind of tired of my CPU being fully used since I am trying sometimes to multitask in the background.

Anyway, my plan for the GPU is 2060 or 2070 - this is not going to change, it will be the first thing I'll buy since my current CPU is still decent these days and then buy the CPU.

Alright, so let's start.
The Ryzen side of choices looks like this:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x + MSI B450-A PRO = 270 USD
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x + MSI B450-A PRO = 320 USD

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 + MSI B450-A PRO = 300 USD
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x + MSI B450-A PRO = 355 USD

AMDs really attract me in terms of price/performance ratio. I also like to tweak the frequencies a little bit so a slight overclock is taken into consideration. I would prefer Ryzens, but I really need your opinions on this.

Intel side:

Intel Core i5 9400F + MSI B360-A PRO = 330 USD
Intel Core i5 9600K + MSI B360-A PRO = 435 USD

As for Intels.. there is not much because I have a limited budget, the GPU is prioritized. In my student opinion, I wouldn't pay that much more for a 9600k, and the 9400F doesn't even offer OC possibilites.
But in your opinions, which is more stable? What should I go for considering all the information I wrote in this post? Pricing is also a major factor.

Solution
Cpu pre-renders frames so the more there is can result in higher cpu usage. Mainly in games where there's more Ai/phsyics/map loading and multiplayer going on like in BF5, Ghost Recon and Farcry with added fps preparing can overwhelm a cpu.

As you're aware Intel are able to produce higher frame rates (not drastically more) albeit searching all 8th/9th gen i5s you'll find that they're all suffering high cpu usages. i7 9700 with it's stronger IPC is able to handle higher frame rates better in busy games, also 9900k of course but price of both may be out of reach.

Ryzen's are good choice for this reason over the i5's. Personally id go for the 2700x for more threads and it's better stock cooler if thats what you'll be using.

3rd gen...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu pre-renders frames so the more there is can result in higher cpu usage. Mainly in games where there's more Ai/phsyics/map loading and multiplayer going on like in BF5, Ghost Recon and Farcry with added fps preparing can overwhelm a cpu.

As you're aware Intel are able to produce higher frame rates (not drastically more) albeit searching all 8th/9th gen i5s you'll find that they're all suffering high cpu usages. i7 9700 with it's stronger IPC is able to handle higher frame rates better in busy games, also 9900k of course but price of both may be out of reach.

Ryzen's are good choice for this reason over the i5's. Personally id go for the 2700x for more threads and it's better stock cooler if thats what you'll be using.

3rd gen Ryzen is almost here too. Rumours say IPC (instructions per clock) is going to be improved quite a bit. If true, fps mins/max should be better. So if you decided on Amd, you may not want to spend too much on a Ryzen cpu now or wait if 3rd gen is of interest. Prices shouldn't be ridiculous.

Reactions: jamdrelik
Solution

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016

3rd gen Ryzen is almost here too. Rumours say IPC (instructions per clock) is going to be improved quite a bit. If true, fps mins/max should be better. So if you decided on Amd, you may not want to spend too much on a Ryzen cpu now or wait if 3rd gen is of interest. Prices shouldn't be ridiculous.

Good point with the Ryzen 3rd, at least I can wait for it and see the prices drop on the 2nd gen.

The 2700x is overkill for gaming and.. I can buy an i7 for that price. i7 would've been the first on the list.. if I had the money xD.

Reactions: boju
Mar 31, 2019
I would say be wise and wait for the AMD show happening 2 weeks from now at the end of this month

In that they are about to reveal AMD Navi and AMD ryzen 3000 series

Prices of previous AMD lineups shall be significantly discounted

The choice is yours