eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
RAM: Crucial CT102464BA160B.C16 1x8GB -
MBD: Asus H81M-A
this is my current setup what budget cpu is best for my pc? because currently my friend has i7-7700 with same graphics card and apparently he has like a HUGE fps difference with me so i made a thread alr and the difference was probably caused by my cpu so i wanna upgrade it anny suggestions? and i need it for gaming

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The best CPUs you can get for your motherboard/chipset (H81) are 4770 or 4790 (non-K) versions because you can't really overclock on a H81.

Although that would be a mere CPU upgrade with that graphics card and with a 1050Ti and the i7s I don't think you would see a "huge FPS difference" in games.

This of course to some extent depends on what resolution and refresh rate you play at and also depends on the game titles.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
The difference between your config and your friends system is because of the IPC & architectural advantage of the Intel 7th gen over 4th gen and also you are comparing i7 with i5.

I have similar specs with i5 just a GEN behind and i don't feel like upgrade of course i'm running at extreme OC which helps to feed my GPU with instructions.

The best option for you is to upgrade the entire platform with latest Ryzen or Intel parts based on your budget.

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
The difference between your config and your friends system is because of the IPC & architectural advantage of the Intel 7th gen over 4th gen and also you are comparing i7 with i5.

I have similar specs with i5 just a GEN behind and i don't feel like upgrade of course i'm running at extreme OC which helps to feed my GPU with instructions.

The best option for you is to upgrade the entire platform with latest Ryzen or Intel parts based on your budget.
Oh ok ty

I highly doubt there is a HUGE difference between you and your friend's system unless there is something wrong with your pc. That graphics card isn't top of the line.. Nowhere near it. You'd at least need an RTX 2060 or similar gpu to really warrant a CPU upgrade unless you're playing games that are very heavy on the CPU and need more threads... But for the most part your graphics card should be the bottleneck.

Reactions: spacejunk

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
The best CPUs you can get for your motherboard/chipset (H81) are 4770 or 4790 (non-K) versions because you can't really overclock on a H81.

Although that would be a mere CPU upgrade with that graphics card and with a 1050Ti and the i7s I don't think you would see a "huge FPS difference" in games.

This of course to some extent depends on what resolution and refresh rate you play at and also depends on the game titles.
We play at the same settings and same res but he has better refresh rate

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
I highly doubt there is a HUGE difference between you and your friend's system unless there is something wrong with your pc. That graphics card isn't top of the line.. Nowhere near it. You'd at least need an RTX 2060 or similar gpu to really warrant a CPU upgrade unless you're playing games that are very heavy on the CPU and need more threads... But for the most part your graphics card should be the bottleneck.
So you are saying my cpu is bottlenecking my graphic card? And is there a way to fix that ?

Sagittariusss

Reputable
Feb 7, 2017
No, it ins't bottlenecking, that cpu will only botteneck a gtx 1070 or higher, and your friend probably have a huge fps difference only on cpu intensive games, normally a i7 7700 would give anyone 20-30 fps advantage over a i5 4460 if both had the same graphic cards (gtx 1050ti).

If you find a 4790k for a good deal, take it, The non-k version performs worst than the k version at stock speeds.

Last edited:

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
No, it ins't bottlenecking, that gpu will only botteneck a gtx 1070 or higher, and your friend probably have a huge fps difference only on cpu intensive games, normally a i7 7700 would give anyone 20-30 fps advantage over a i5 4460 if both had the same graphic cards (gtx 1050ti).

If you find a 4790k for a good deal, take it, The non-k version performs worst than the k version at stock speeds.
We are playing Fortnite and what is a good deal for 4790k?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
We play at the same settings and same res but he has better refresh rate

I meant the amount the stronger CPU can help increase your FPS would vary in different games; not comparing a 4th gen i5 with a 7th gen i7.

Your friend has an i7 7700 which is leaps and bounds better than your i5 4460. That CPU can have higher frame rates in games in general and specifically in more CPU-intensive ones with same GPU. Although with the same graphics card I don't think the difference would be that "HUGE".

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
I meant the amount the stronger CPU can help increase your FPS would vary in different games; not comparing a 4th gen i5 with a 7th gen i7.

Your friend has an i7 7700 which is leaps and bounds better than your i5 4460. That CPU can have higher frame rates in games in general and specifically in more CPU-intensive ones with same GPU. Although with the same graphics card I don't think the difference would be that "HUGE".
I have drops to 40 fps every 15 seconds or so in Fortnite and in the open will be at a range of 70 - 120 and stuttering often while my Friend is literally capped at 160 not even dropping until really crowded in late game

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I have drops to 40 fps every 15 seconds or so in Fortnite and in the open will be at a range of 70 - 120 and stuttering often while my Friend is literally capped at 160 not even dropping until really crowded in late game

The open-world games are very CPU-intensive and Fortnite is not an exception. Your friend has a benefit in that game because he has a 7th gen i7 and that has an edge over the i5. You can not really compare that to a 4th gen i5. I mean you can compare and the difference is the frame rate drops.

Your best bet would be to upgrade to a newer platform altogether (MOBO+CPU+RAM) or as I said earlier get a 4770 or a 4790 to improve frame rates.

(Edited for typos)

Last edited: