[SOLVED] What CPU should I buy?

Mar 23, 2020
I'm not great when it comes to building PCs, I understand the different parts but not sure what's good and what isn't anymore. I have a problem when I try to play COD MW Warzone, my CPU usage goes up to 100% and the game crashes after like 5 mins of playing.. I think my graphics card is doing fine and doesn't have trouble running the game, but the CPU seems like it's not enough. Had a similar issue with Rainbow Six Siege, but instead of shutting down, my keyboard inputs were delayed and after some searching I found out that it was also connected to CPU usage. I was able to solve this by adjusting some settings in-game but my CPU usage is still at like 90-95% when I play that game. Could someone recommend me a decent CPU that will manage with games like this but doesn't cost too much? I don't have a budget for this but I'm not looking to spend massive amounts of money on a CPU right now. Here are my current PC specs:
http://specr.me/show/960

Also if you guys think the CPU might not be the only problem let me know please :). (I know my RAM is pretty low so)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
With the 2700 and motherboard with WiFi:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£135.53 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.00 @ Currys PC World)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£74.57 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £329.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 20:29 GMT+0000

With 2600 & non WiFi motherboard:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£109.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard...
I'm not great when it comes to building PCs, I understand the different parts but not sure what's good and what isn't anymore. I have a problem when I try to play COD MW Warzone, my CPU usage goes up to 100% and the game crashes after like 5 mins of playing.. I think my graphics card is doing fine and doesn't have trouble running the game, but the CPU seems like it's not enough. Had a similar issue with Rainbow Six Siege, but instead of shutting down, my keyboard inputs were delayed and after some searching I found out that it was also connected to CPU usage. I was able to solve this by adjusting some settings in-game but my CPU usage is still at like 90-95% when I play that game. Could someone recommend me a decent CPU that will manage with games like this but doesn't cost too much? I don't have a budget for this but I'm not looking to spend massive amounts of money on a CPU right now. Here are my current PC specs:
http://specr.me/show/960

Also if you guys think the CPU might not be the only problem let me know please :). (I know my RAM is pretty low so)

Thanks in advance!
Seems that CPU is worst problem, also only 8GB of RAM doesn't help any.

Here is an option that would work. I included a PSU as I am figuring your PSU is getting up there in age.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR Phantom Gaming 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)
Total: $577.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 10:55 EDT-0400

The RAM is just 2 different options. Minimum for a gaming rig has moved to 16GB now. We can see that with the recommended specs for COD MW Warzone with 12GB RAM recommended. Going 32GB will keep you above the curve, but it obviously costs more.
Don't worry about the warning that the motherboard is incompatible. This motherboard has builtin support for Ryzen 3000 series. You could save some money and go with the 2600 instead, but the 3600/X are the midrange gaming CPUs to get. I choose the 3600X due to the price difference being so small and the inclusion of the better CPU Cooler.

Mar 23, 2020
Here is an option that would work. I included a PSU as I am figuring your PSU is getting up there in age.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR Phantom Gaming 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)
Total: $577.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 10:55 EDT-0400

The RAM is just 2 different options. Minimum for a gaming rig has moved to 16GB now. We can see that with the recommended specs for COD MW Warzone with 12GB RAM recommended. Going 32GB will keep you above the curve, but it obviously costs more.
Don't worry about the warning that the motherboard is incompatible. This motherboard has builtin support for Ryzen 3000 series. You could save some money and go with the 2600 instead, but the 3600/X are the midrange gaming CPUs to get. I choose the 3600X due to the price difference being so small and the inclusion of the better CPU Cooler.

So my PSU is a Corsair CX450, so do you still think I need to switch it? Also, my motherboard is a HP Pavilion p6-2489ea. I've wanted to upgrade it for a while now but was always scared to do it because I've been told that your motherboard needs to work with other components and just felt like too much effort. Do you think you would be able to find me a bit cheaper processor (by a bit I mean like half the price)? Unless anything cheaper won't be much of an upgrade, idk, not an expert so. Also, if I wanted to buy 16GB of RAM instead of the 32GB, does it need to be 2x8GB or can it be 1x16GB so that I can upgrade it in the future if I want to? Thanks for all the help!

/edit sorry CX450M

So my PSU is a Corsair CX450, so do you still think I need to switch it? Also, my motherboard is a HP Pavilion p6-2489ea. I've wanted to upgrade it for a while now but was always scared to do it because I've been told that your motherboard needs to work with other components and just felt like too much effort. Do you think you would be able to find me a bit cheaper processor (by a bit I mean like half the price)? Unless anything cheaper won't be much of an upgrade, idk, not an expert so. Also, if I wanted to buy 16GB of RAM instead of the 32GB, does it need to be 2x8GB or can it be 1x16GB so that I can upgrade it in the future if I want to? Thanks for all the help!

/edit sorry CX450M
Depends on the age of your PSU and which one it is. Looking at Jonnyguru's guide, it doesn't look like the CX450 has some really old models http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16610-Corsair-CX-and-CX-M-quot-cheat-sheet-quot the main question is what color is its label. If the label is green & black those are the poor quality CXs. If your CX PSU is 4ish years old I would look at replacing it as well. Reason being it has a 5 year warranty and realistically that is all you can expect from that budget PSU.

The motherboard in that case could be removed, theoretically. Last time I tried to remove a motherboard in a prebuilt computer it didn't go so well due to a proprietary screw. I would say just bite the bullet and change to a new case and then you won't have to worry.

RAM should always be bought in pairs. That is the only way that you can guarantee that 2 sticks will work together. You can always add another 2x8GB DIMMs later to get 32GB. Just know that there is no guarantee that it will work correctly. If you go that route you want to make sure to get the same speed, CAS, and brand of RAM to give you the best chance of it working.

Here is a new configuration with a cheaper CPU. This is still a very good CPU and the motherboard supports the Ryzen 3000 line and should also support the 4000 line with a BIOS update.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP12-WT 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.39 @ Newegg)
Total: $444.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 13:27 EDT-0400

I have included a good budget case. There are other options, especially if you don't need/want the DVD drive anymore from your current build. If you don't want the DVD drive I would look at the Fractal Design Define Mini C. It is a better case than the Focus G Mini and include sound dampening material to make it almost silent. The PSU listed here is another option. At 550W even with the higher TDP 3600X you can drive a GPU up to a RTX 2070 Super/ Radeon 5700XT. Anything more and you would be looking at a 650W PSU, but for just about any single GPU system a 650W is all you need.

Mar 23, 2020
Depends on the age of your PSU and which one it is. Looking at Jonnyguru's guide, it doesn't look like the CX450 has some really old models http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16610-Corsair-CX-and-CX-M-quot-cheat-sheet-quot the main question is what color is its label. If the label is green & black those are the poor quality CXs. If your CX PSU is 4ish years old I would look at replacing it as well. Reason being it has a 5 year warranty and realistically that is all you can expect from that budget PSU.

The motherboard in that case could be removed, theoretically. Last time I tried to remove a motherboard in a prebuilt computer it didn't go so well due to a proprietary screw. I would say just bite the bullet and change to a new case and then you won't have to worry.

RAM should always be bought in pairs. That is the only way that you can guarantee that 2 sticks will work together. You can always add another 2x8GB DIMMs later to get 32GB. Just know that there is no guarantee that it will work correctly. If you go that route you want to make sure to get the same speed, CAS, and brand of RAM to give you the best chance of it working.

Here is a new configuration with a cheaper CPU. This is still a very good CPU and the motherboard supports the Ryzen 3000 line and should also support the 4000 line with a BIOS update.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP12-WT 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.39 @ Newegg)
Total: $444.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 13:27 EDT-0400

I have included a good budget case. There are other options, especially if you don't need/want the DVD drive anymore from your current build. If you don't want the DVD drive I would look at the Fractal Design Define Mini C. It is a better case than the Focus G Mini and include sound dampening material to make it almost silent. The PSU listed here is another option. At 550W even with the higher TDP 3600X you can drive a GPU up to a RTX 2070 Super/ Radeon 5700XT. Anything more and you would be looking at a 650W PSU, but for just about any single GPU system a 650W is all you need.

So when I was upgrading a few parts, I also changed the case and now I have the Zalman R1: https://zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=55
The PSU is like 2 years old. How hard is it to disassemble everything to replace the motherboard? I'm not too worried about anything else as I've done most of it before (well not sure about the CPU but I assume that's not too difficult) but never replaced the motherboard, or put one into a PC in general. With this case I had someone else do it for me so. Do you think this CPU will be good enough for at least 2 years for most games? (considering the case and the PSU are good enough, I'm left with buying the CPU, Motherboard and RAM, the prices of the ones you posted work for me, so let me know if everything is good). Again, thank you so much for the help and bearing with me, I really appreciate it :).

So when I was upgrading a few parts, I also changed the case and now I have the Zalman R1: https://zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=55
The PSU is like 2 years old. How hard is it to disassemble everything to replace the motherboard? I'm not too worried about anything else as I've done most of it before (well not sure about the CPU but I assume that's not too difficult) but never replaced the motherboard, or put one into a PC in general. With this case I had someone else do it for me so. Do you think this CPU will be good enough for at least 2 years for most games? (considering the case and the PSU are good enough, I'm left with buying the CPU, Motherboard and RAM, the prices of the ones you posted work for me, so let me know if everything is good). Again, thank you so much for the help and bearing with me, I really appreciate it :).
The PSU being 2 years old will be adequate for a while. When you decide to upgrade your GPU you should upgrade your PSU. Your case is just fine as well. Removing a motherboard isn't too bad. You just unplug everything, remove the CPU & GPU, unscrew the board, and take it out. You will also need to change the back IO plate, one will come with the new motherboard, before you install the new motherboard. There will also be metal posts in the case after you remove the motherboard. Those are what the screws went into and will need to be reused with the new motherboard. Make sure you have all the posts in the right place based on the screw layout on your new motherboard. Where the screws go will have some foil protection around it on the motherboard. The CPU will be enough for the next 2 years that's for sure. It is a 6c/12t CPU and a good place to start for gaming on a budget.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2960805/how-to-replace-your-pcs-motherboard.html
You will have to reinstall Windows after this. You are going from an Intel to AMD chip so the drivers are very different. Would still need to be done even if you were going to a modern Intel as the drivers are very different now.
For replacing the motherboard I would also look at a couple videos as well besides the links earlier.

Reactions: Flyyy
Mar 23, 2020
The PSU being 2 years old will be adequate for a while. When you decide to upgrade your GPU you should upgrade your PSU. Your case is just fine as well. Removing a motherboard isn't too bad. You just unplug everything, remove the CPU & GPU, unscrew the board, and take it out. You will also need to change the back IO plate, one will come with the new motherboard, before you install the new motherboard. There will also be metal posts in the case after you remove the motherboard. Those are what the screws went into and will need to be reused with the new motherboard. Make sure you have all the posts in the right place based on the screw layout on your new motherboard. Where the screws go will have some foil protection around it on the motherboard. The CPU will be enough for the next 2 years that's for sure. It is a 6c/12t CPU and a good place to start for gaming on a budget.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2960805/how-to-replace-your-pcs-motherboard.html
You will have to reinstall Windows after this. You are going from an Intel to AMD chip so the drivers are very different. Would still need to be done even if you were going to a modern Intel as the drivers are very different now.
For replacing the motherboard I would also look at a couple videos as well besides the links earlier.

Awesome, thank you very much for all the help!:)

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.00 @ Currys PC World)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£74.57 @ Ebuyer)

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£80.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £265.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 20:31 GMT+0000

Ryze 3600 & motherboard that supports it right away:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£154.98 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£84.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £314.54

Ryzen 3600 & WiFi Motherboard:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£169.33 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £398.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 20:33 GMT+0000

Solution
Mar 23, 2020
Are you in need of WiFi on the motherboard? Also for an 25 Quid you can go from the 6c/12t 2600 to an 8c/12t 2700.

Don't need WiFi on the motherboard. Always on Ethernet on my PC so. Are you talking about the Ryzen 7 2700 on Amazon? I'm confused about those prices btw.. this one is £140, not discounted, and the Ryzen 5 2600 is £105, discounted from £170?? Anyway yeah don't need the WiFi and is that worth it to get the better one for £25 more?

Mar 23, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£80.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £265.54

Ryze 3600 & motherboard that supports it right away:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£84.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £314.54

Ryzen 3600 & WiFi Motherboard:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£169.33 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £398.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 20:33 GMT+0000

Jeez this is so confusing hahah. I think I like this one the most https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CnYPvW but the motherboard is a bit expensive. Uh this has amounted to a lot more than I expected tbh.. Didn't really wanna spend more than £200. I'll need to have a think thanks for the help tho!

Don't need WiFi on the motherboard. Always on Ethernet on my PC so. Are you talking about the Ryzen 7 2700 on Amazon? I'm confused about those prices btw.. this one is £140, not discounted, and the Ryzen 5 2600 is £105, discounted from £170?? Anyway yeah don't need the WiFi and is that worth it to get the better one for £25 more?
Yeah I am talking about the Ryzen 7 2700. At 140 Pounds it is a very good price for that CPU. When it was released that CPU went for $299. Gaming performance between it and the 2600 will be identical except where more cores can be used. But it also allows for better gaming and streaming at the same time. COD Warfare has some odd system requirements. Their Recommended for CPU is an i5-2500k or Ryzen 1600X. The 1600X is a far more powerful CPU than the 2500k, the equivalent would be the Ryzen 3 1200. However, according to their Competitive Recommendation, if you have a big enough GPU it will keep taking more CPU cores, at least that is how it sounds. https://www.pcworld.com/article/3268606/amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-cpu-specs-features-price-release-date.html The 2700 & 1800X are equal in gaming which is nice.

Jeez this is so confusing hahah. I think I like this one the most https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CnYPvW but the motherboard is a bit expensive. Uh this has amounted to a lot more than I expected tbh.. Didn't really wanna spend more than £200. I'll need to have a think thanks for the help tho!
The closest I can do to 200 Pounds is this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£77.58 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£66.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £219.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 21:03 GMT+0000

While it will be more CPU power and offer more gaming performance, it isn't that much of an improvement over what you already have. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2332?vs=2355

Going with a CPU upgrade would be this:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£66.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £251.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 21:04 GMT+0000

Mar 23, 2020
The closest I can do to 200 Pounds is this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£77.58 @ Aria PC)
Total: £219.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 21:03 GMT+0000

While it will be more CPU power and offer more gaming performance, it isn't that much of an improvement over what you already have. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2332?vs=2355

Going with a CPU upgrade would be this:
PCPartPicker Part List

Total: £251.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-24 21:04 GMT+0000

Oh nice! I might go with that then.. or might invest that extra £75ish, will have to think about it. Thanks for all the help! :)

Oh nice! I might go with that then.. or might invest that extra £75ish, will have to think about it. Thanks for all the help! :)
Truthfully invest the extra money and get a CPU that will be useful for a long time. More and more games are using 4 or more cores and going with a 4c/4t CPU just doesn't make sense. There are a ton of reports of people having micro-stuttering issues while gaming with overclocked i5-9600k in AAA titles. This issues is the 9600 is 6c/6t and their CPUs are maxing out. The added 8 threads of the 2600 or 12 treads in the 2700 is well worth the investment.

Mar 23, 2020
Truthfully invest the extra money and get a CPU that will be useful for a long time. More and more games are using 4 or more cores and going with a 4c/4t CPU just doesn't make sense. There are a ton of reports of people having micro-stuttering issues while gaming with overclocked i5-9600k in AAA titles. This issues is the 9600 is 6c/6t and their CPUs are maxing out. The added 8 threads of the 2600 or 12 treads in the 2700 is well worth the investment.

Ended up ordering the AMD Ryzen 7 2700, HyperX FURY 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM and MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC AMD Motherboard. Thank you for all the advice once again :)!

Reactions: jeremyj_83