What CPU should I get for 4k gaming?

Solution
Plus putting too much emphasis on the 4K is probably a mistake. I say that from experience. It is very difficult to actually see the difference between 1080P, 2K and 4K. Watching movies on my UHD 4K is great. But apart from an extra glint in a reflection or something, I can't tell the difference between Netflix 4K and regular 1080P streaming. So I went back to regular 1080P streaming. The picture is great on my set either way.

The CPU does matter with gaming.
Plus putting too much emphasis on the 4K is probably a mistake. I say that from experience. It is very difficult to actually see the difference between 1080P, 2K and 4K. Watching movies on my UHD 4K is great. But apart from an extra glint in a reflection or something, I can't tell the difference between Netflix 4K and regular 1080P streaming. So I went back to regular 1080P streaming. The picture is great on my set either way.

The CPU does matter with gaming.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

7900X is a massive waste of money for gaming. The other two will game better at less than half the price.

8700k and 8086k are essentially the same chip, just the 8086 has a slightly higher single core turbo. It is likely a better overclocker since it needs to be a golden sample to be able to single core reliably to 5ghz. If you're looking to overclock its worth it.

In reality 4k is limited more by the GPU than CPU at this point. That said may as well get the best you can afford at this time.