Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
So here is my rig:
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
i5-4460 3.1Ghz
16GB RAM DDR3
MB: ASUS B85M-G
SSD AND HARD DRIVE 1TB/120GB
I am streaming and gaming in heavy load situations...i need the BEST cpu my motherboard can support,if its doesnt have a big difference should i upgrade my mb? i dont wanna waste more than 200 in only upgrading ram/mb and i really wanna spend it all on the cpu,so what is my best choice?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

I used to think like that too... but the higher base and turbo clocks do help some on an older platform, and if one is trying to hold off as long as they can on a total system upgrade... it'll go ever-so-slightly further than getting the non-K variant.

Harry helpless

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
i really want something that will make a big to huge difference..i wanna be able to stream easily without losing frames,aproximattely,how much better will things be with a i7-4490K?
otherwise i will try to change mb and ram,and maybe not change cpu
also,can i support X series from intel cpus?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

For streaming, yes the I7 will run it much smoother... for gaming only sessions, depending on the game, performance gap between I7 and I5 will vary.
And no, X-series is on an entirely different chipset, so that won't work.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015

Toms had an article at the beginning of January FOUND HERE about streaming and encoding. Take a look at the kaby lake i5 7600k and i7 7700k results. Due to them being a newer architecture compared to your haswell i5 4460, they'll be a little faster, but can provide you with a rough ballpark of what to expect. Streaming should still be possible albeit with lower encoding settings. In order to get the best performance though you are looking at a complete platform overhaul to either a coffee lake i5 system or a ryzen 5 1600 and above based system. More cores do count when streaming

Harry helpless

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
could you please send me which cpu from intel and AMD are the best possible solutions for my mb? if the difference isnt bigger than 40% compared to my current cpu,i will propably not upgrade my system,and just sell it and buy a new one without a gpu,is this option more worth it than upgrading my current rig?

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
unfortunately the absolute best cpu you can get for your current platform is the i7 4790k. yes, you wont be able to overclock, but you will get a 20% increase in base clock speed and a ~29% increase in turbo clock speed. you also get 8 threads compared to 4 and when it comes to streaming, more threads and cores matters. Some folks dont like userbenchmark, but HERE'S their comparison between the two. The only streaming benchmarks between the two that I can find are youtube videos and im not a fan as they dont generally have their settings or hardware listed. However HERE is one video comparing the two in GTA V

Harry helpless

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
Pretty worried about which choice should i take...should i got for the i7-4790K? is it worth the money knowing the old cpu wont be sold? (except if i find someone) or is it better to get a fully new pc with just a new mb and cpu? i wanted to change my pc case bcs its pretty basic,also a brand new pc with a i7 (preferably a very good one at least 50% better than my current cpu) will cost more than 500? i only want the case,motherboard a gaming good one,i will just then setup my gpu my ssd and hdd.Also will this require a format? and which option do you think its better?( if i get a new computer with good mb and cpu,i can easily afford 500 rather than spending it on a single cpu that wont be very better than my current one.
EXTRA INFO FOR WHAT I NEED IT:
I stream overwatch,i have 144hz and i really need a good cpu as i have a monster gpu so i wanna make my rig super powerful,its a triple monitor display,i make videos and use a lot SONY VEGAS PRO 14 and i really leave my pc for hours rendering videos in 144p 60fps,i really need it,i am just really worried if it would be better to just upgrade cpu on my rig, or should i get a new pc with 16gb ram good mb and very good cpu? aproximate price? i dont wanna go more than 600 BARELY for just a case,mb,ram and CPU :)

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
I totally understand where you're coming from. Personally, I don't like to spend money on a dead platform but in this case, you'd be getting a minimum 20% core clock speed increase and twice the threads. streaming and encoding is very thread heavy so you would get a large increase in performance just from the thread count alone.

is your system a pre-built oem or did you build it yourself? depending on who built it will determine what you can reuse (im thinking case and psu here. you'll be able to reuse your ssd/hdd and video card)

Now if you were to go the full upgrade route, you'd be looking at a ryzen 5 system as a new i7 would be out of your price range. ryzen offers broadwell (core i5/7 5xxx series) class IPC, so clock for clock it would be roughly similar to what you have now, but you'd get 6 cores with 12 threads and be able to overclock. You'd have to do a fresh install of windows. Like i said earlier though, you can reuse a lot of components depending on if they are oem or off the shelf.

you'd be looking at something like this
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($188.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $505.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-17 08:29 EST-0500

unfortunately ram prices are really high right now and will eat about half of your budget, but that build would provide very good streaming capabilities

Harry helpless

Commendable
Jun 3, 2017
Really impressed,of course i aint givin more than 120$ for ram XD forget it there is no need,i got already 16 but had ddr3 dang it,is this ryzen better than the i7-4790K? i really want something OVERKILL,at least as i said 50% better than my current one,i dont think its that good for me for 188$,about the motherboard i am extremely impressed for its cheap price and good quality,i just need a normal 16gb ram and cheap,and a good cpu MAINLY

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
50%?!
You've set your expectations a little TOO high. A 4790k won't cut then. Heck, not even a 8700k will be THAT big - darn close, but not quite - of a jump.
The closest you're going to get to OVERKILL is the 8700k... and that means new ram and mobo as well... not in your current budget.
Good luck.