What CPU should i get?

Mar 16, 2018
I ave a ASUS H97 Plus motheboard which supports LGA 1150. I was gonna get a i7 8800k but its 1151 so it wonbt work. I want a 6 CPU good for gaming. Preferabbly Intel if soomeone can recommened one.

Solution
Do you want spend more money or less money?
Upgrade temporary?
Which GPU do you have?

As for me i5 still can be pretty powerfull for gaming. But if you are streaming that might be another pair of shoes.
Now for a part, you only game? You probably don't need more powerfull CPU than that, but if you wanna upgrade the only CPU to i7 it will hold 2 or 3 years.
But if you wanna upgrade now to i5 8400 you need new motherboard and new ram as it is different.

As @dontlistentome said "You could put an i7 47xx in your motherboard. Since you don't say what CPU you have, or what you plan to use the computer for, I can't offer more advice than that.

A move to a newer CPU means a new motherboard AND new DDR4 memory needs to be purchased as well."...
Mar 16, 2018

What do you mean by swap everything?

Mar 16, 2018

Currently have an i5 4690. I just want to upgrade my PC to something no so out of date. I use it for gaming. I built it myself but am not to good with this type of stuff.

Do you want spend more money or less money?
Upgrade temporary?
Which GPU do you have?

As for me i5 still can be pretty powerfull for gaming. But if you are streaming that might be another pair of shoes.
Now for a part, you only game? You probably don't need more powerfull CPU than that, but if you wanna upgrade the only CPU to i7 it will hold 2 or 3 years.
But if you wanna upgrade now to i5 8400 you need new motherboard and new ram as it is different.

As @dontlistentome said "You could put an i7 47xx in your motherboard. Since you don't say what CPU you have, or what you plan to use the computer for, I can't offer more advice than that.

A move to a newer CPU means a new motherboard AND new DDR4 memory needs to be purchased as well."

And 1150 isn't soo outdated yet.
Usually from my perspective CPU holds 6-10 years, till it needs upgrade to new platform.

Solution
Mar 16, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from raider1033333 : "Gaming PC CPU?"

Currently I have a GTX 970 GPU, i5 4690 CPU,8 GB ram. I want to start upgrading it, I cant run all games on highest graphics and the ones I can it gets choppy. Ive been looking at new CPUS and am noticing that a lot have 1151 sockets and my motherboard has 1150...Should I spend the money and upgrade to 1151 with a newer CPU? I dont understand the cores and threading, all i know is the more the better. What cpu would be a big upgrade and what ones might be minor. I want it to last a few years. Should I look more at my GPU instead or even getting 16GB ram? I dont stream anything, dont record and I use my PC almost stricly for gaming and watching youtube/twitch. Sorry if i sound dumb. Thanks in advance

Mar 16, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from raider1033333 : "Gaming PC CPU?"

Currently I have a GTX 970 GPU, i5 4690 CPU,8 GB ram. I want to start upgrading it, I cant run all games on highest graphics and the ones I can it gets choppy. Ive been looking at new CPUS and am noticing that a lot have 1151 sockets and my motherboard has 1150...Should I spend the money and upgrade to 1151 with a newer CPU? I dont understand the cores and threading, all i know is the more the better. What cpu would be a big upgrade and what ones might be minor. I want it to last a few years. Should I look more at my GPU instead or even getting 16GB ram? I dont stream anything, dont record and I use my PC almost stricly for gaming and watching youtube/twitch. Sorry if i sound dumb. Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS