[SOLVED] What CPU should I get?

Ryan_352

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
Hello,

I got a 1050ti last June, and could see performance increases, but in titles like GTA V I'm getting held back, and I think it's my CPU as it's rather low performance compared to the 1050ti

I'm looking for an intel processor, I'm aware and willing to upgrade motherboard.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap processor that will pair up nicely with the 1050ti.

Thanks.

Specs:

AMD X4 860k
GTX 1050ti
8gb ram

Solution
AMD Ryzen processors have nowadays a much better performance per dollar relation than Intel processors. I think any cheap Ryzen processor can handle the 1050Ti so it just depends to your budget, as if you buy a better processor than the cheapest, then you will be able to get a better graphics card in the future for that processor.

If you want to go for the cheapest, then get a 1200 or any 4-cored Ryzen. If you can stretch your budget, then you have to know that Ryzen X200 and X300 are 4-cored, x400 and x500 are 4-cored with 8 threads, x600 are 6-cored with 12 threads, and x700 and x800 are 8-cored with 16 threads. So the biggest performance leaps are the jump from 4 cores to 8 threads, and then to 6 and 8 cores.

And get a minimum of...

Phazoner

Distinguished
AMD Ryzen processors have nowadays a much better performance per dollar relation than Intel processors. I think any cheap Ryzen processor can handle the 1050Ti so it just depends to your budget, as if you buy a better processor than the cheapest, then you will be able to get a better graphics card in the future for that processor.

If you want to go for the cheapest, then get a 1200 or any 4-cored Ryzen. If you can stretch your budget, then you have to know that Ryzen X200 and X300 are 4-cored, x400 and x500 are 4-cored with 8 threads, x600 are 6-cored with 12 threads, and x700 and x800 are 8-cored with 16 threads. So the biggest performance leaps are the jump from 4 cores to 8 threads, and then to 6 and 8 cores.

And get a minimum of 8GB of RAM with high speeds as Ryzen performance depends on the speed (get 3000-3200 RAMs).

Solution

tiaan_strauss

Proper
Jan 12, 2019
For any budget concious gamer out there Ryzen is simply the better option nowadays.

Performance per dollar in your budget class is all that matters & Intel simply cant compete with AMD at your level of budget.

Look at Ryzen 2600, 2400G, 2200G even previous gen Ryzen 1600 would be great.

Intel motherboards are also generally more expensive than AM4 AMD motherboards.

For your budget I would strongly suggest something like a Ryzen 2200g or 2400g. 2200g going for $100 on amazon & I think you you get free games with Ryzen CPUs now. Not 100% sure but I know something was mentioned with AMD CES 2019 conference)

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
As mentioned above Ryzen generally offers much better value at the budget end of the range, but if you're determined to get intel then I would suggest i3-8100 or 9100 (if/when it's available). It generally beats Ryzen 2400g in games and tasks, but you will probably have to pay more for it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If GTA V is your primary concern, I'd suggest Ryzen 2400g(1400, 1500x also work, they're a little older, but you may find them for cheaper), or 4c/8t cpu at the bare minimum for running that game. 2600/1600(6c/12t) would be best, but we don't have an idea how tight your budget is.

And you'll eventually need more than 8gbs of ram, as that game will max that out too over time.

The best Intel option would be I5 8400, but I guarantee the above Ryzen options will be overall cheaper.

Phazoner

Distinguished
Phaaze88 (nice nick LMAO), I don't think that using a 1050 the RAM can eat so much RAM. I have a 1070 and everybody was saying that some games (like Battlefront II) would be problematic with only 8GB of RAM with the maximum settings. To be honest, I didn't noticed problems when using my single 8GB stick, maybe minor framerate dips, anyways I updated soon to 16GB so can't really say if that minor issues could get to be annoying when playing much time in a row, in certain maps or just being annoying if playing in a very competitive way.

So if I had no or barely noticeable problems with 8GB and a 1070 I don't think he is gonna need more than me, and additionally if he picks a Ryzen he will pick high speed RAMs so the issues should be even less noticeable.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You underestimate how much cpu and ram - not counting Vram, as consumption of that goes up with higher graphics settings - GTA V can use.
Ram becomes a problem depending upon how long the user is going to play for. For short sessions, like ~30mins to maybe an hour, 8gbs should be fine. Longer than that, things are going to start slowing down.
GTA V isn't hungry on gpu resources like it is with the other two, so the OP having a 1050ti is of little concern.

OT: Yea, I really loved the Metroid Prime Trilogy! XD