What CPU should I upgrade to?

AShirokumasSlave

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
I'm currently using a PC with i5 4440 and GTX 770. It runs fine but I feel like my CPU bottlenecks sometimes. Also when I play Cities:Skyline(which relies heavily on CPU), it gets worse when I reached high population.

Now that AMD has released ryzens, should I get it? if so, which model? Or should I stick with Intel and buy a i7 4790k or newer models?

edit: moved to CPU forum.

Solution
Yes, your CPU will be an issue with that game, and also it likes lot of memory.

The answer really depends on what else you do, but if solely for Cities Skyline go with the most cores that you can get that run as fast as you can afford (and/or overclock), so Ryzen based on anecdotal reports and this discussion thread on core utilization by the Cities development staff:

"The game is best optimized for a 4 cores CPU (being the most mainstream and quite fitted to our simulation needs), we have the main thread, audio, pathfinding, simulation & water flow. Unity does under the hood also use threads quite heavily (main and rendering) and we do use some extra worker thread during the loading/saving process, so 8 cores should yield a...

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
Well if you were planning on getting an i7 4790k, you would probably also have to get a new GPU as well, because you can bottleneck your CPU, if your on a budget I would suggest a GTX 1050 ti, and if you also want a cheap CPU, I would get the i5 6600k.

OP doesn't need to get a new GPU if they get a new CPU. There's always a bottleneck, one component is always slower than the other. If OP feels a need for more CPU performance, an upgraded CPU would be graet.

I think a 4790K would be a fine upgrade. It would be cheaper overall than a 6600K and considerably faster.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, your CPU will be an issue with that game, and also it likes lot of memory.

The answer really depends on what else you do, but if solely for Cities Skyline go with the most cores that you can get that run as fast as you can afford (and/or overclock), so Ryzen based on anecdotal reports and this discussion thread on core utilization by the Cities development staff:

"The game is best optimized for a 4 cores CPU (being the most mainstream and quite fitted to our simulation needs), we have the main thread, audio, pathfinding, simulation & water flow. Unity does under the hood also use threads quite heavily (main and rendering) and we do use some extra worker thread during the loading/saving process, so 8 cores should yield a noticeable performance improvement but it will not be in the 2x faster figures." Later in the discussion the staff does admit though that 4 cores are sufficient if fast (so a 7700k would also be a good choice if you want to go Intel).

And I agree *that* for that game you do NOT need a new graphic card. Do get 16GB of DDR4 minimum though. That game is dependent on CPU>memory>GPU.

Solution

What's your budget? If you move to Ryzen the 1600 is my pick. It can be OC'd so that x model's price increase doesn't make it so attractive. The regular 1600 also comes with its own cooler. The x does not.

Imo you should move up to the 1060 first. Maybe the Asus dual 6GB. Make that move first before a major overhaul takes place.

You have a feeling. That's half the battle. Have you seen your CPU usage in real time?
Far_Cry4_2016_11_08_22_14_29_543.jpg

MSI AB can show you that.

Obscure_2

Commendable
May 24, 2016
A nice new ryzen CPU with a motherboard for about £250. Won't have to upgrade for a while. and if you do you can just put a 2nd hand upgraded one in the future if so.