[SOLVED] What CPU to buy? [GTX 1050]

skill.arena610

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
So currently I have i5-2400 with Asus Expedition GTX 1050.
I wanted to upgrade my ram to DDR4 and 16GB and my processor, but I don't know which one to get.
I wanted to get i5-6500 but the bottleneck calculator says I will get bottlenecked by my GPU. So does someone have any recommendations for me?

Solution
I7-3770K and gtx970. In CSGO I get 300fps at ultra. In Metal Gear Solid V I get 140fps. In Skyrim with 170 mods I get 60fps.

Here's the kicker, the only graphically intensive game there and I get 140fps. The other 2 games would be just fine on a gtx660ti (my other pc) with an i5.

So who is to say what is weak and what isn't? It's all dependent on the game code. Everything is. If it's hyper cpu intensive, you get low fps. If its eazy-peazy you get high fps. Then comes the graphics and thats all on the gpu, to either live upto the fps set by the cpu, or surpass its ability or fail.

But you'll not get a single frame more than what the cpu can supply no matter how strong the gpu.

Which is why bottleneck calculators are full of sh**...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I7-3770K and gtx970. In CSGO I get 300fps at ultra. In Metal Gear Solid V I get 140fps. In Skyrim with 170 mods I get 60fps.

Here's the kicker, the only graphically intensive game there and I get 140fps. The other 2 games would be just fine on a gtx660ti (my other pc) with an i5.

So who is to say what is weak and what isn't? It's all dependent on the game code. Everything is. If it's hyper cpu intensive, you get low fps. If its eazy-peazy you get high fps. Then comes the graphics and thats all on the gpu, to either live upto the fps set by the cpu, or surpass its ability or fail.

But you'll not get a single frame more than what the cpu can supply no matter how strong the gpu.

Which is why bottleneck calculators are full of sh**.
In no way can a cpu bottleneck a gpu. There's no way a cpu will ever 'slow down' a gpu. Doesn't happen.

Solution