NaXos Gaming

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Guys i just need to ask what would make most sense

Situation right now is that I got a Z170 rig but my cpu broke (did some stupid stuff)
I could get a 2. hand 7700k for somewhere in between 2-300 €
But i could also get a ryzen 5 3600 + 2. hand Gigabyte x470 Gaming 7 for about 450€ (250 for cpu and 200 or less for mb)
It seems like a X570 mb wouldn't be worth it (Gaming 7 mb got the best vrm of all x470)

What would do?

That seems like a lot to spend on a second-hand motherboard. You could likely buy a decent-enough new motherboard for less, with a proper warranty. It might be a good motherboard, but that leaves you wondering why someone is getting rid of it. I suspect there should be some decent X570 boards around that price range as well, and of course other X470/B450 boards for less.

At the very least, it's probably worth waiting another day or so for the Ryzen 3000 reviews to go live, so that you have a better idea of what these processors require of a motherboard, and if there are any compatibility issues or anything. I suspect that a Ryzen 3600 will not require an especially high-end board to get the most out of it, as its maximum power draw should be significantly lower than the 12 or future 16-core models. And it's yet to be seen what overclocking requirements will be like, and if X570 might offer any benefits for that.

As for the 7700K, even used, they seem a bit overpriced relative to what newer, higher-core count processors cost. And there isn't really anywhere to upgrade from a 7700K without moving to a new motherboard, so if you need a new processor, I would be inclined to move to a newer platform.

Jul 17, 2019
I think you should go with the X470 and Ryzen 5 3600, thermals shouldn't be an issue and if possible try to find a cheap, but reliable x570 if you can find one on sale with prime deals.