[SOLVED] What cpu (with motherboard upgrade if needed) would be ideal to get with an RX 580 X

SatiricMoney

Reputable
Mar 22, 2020
I have an intel core i5 6400 with some sort of Lenovo board and 16 gbs of ddr4 ram. I'm not an expert in computer tech so I was wondering if anybody could help with a list of possible upgrades to make my computer run something like Star Wars Battlefront II on ultra settings (1080p or higher) without the drops I get from my cpu being stressed

Solution
The board is apparently a Skybay, it has an Intel Skylake Chipset and an intel H170 in the Southbridge. It does have PCIE slots. I don't know what a microtower but from what i looked up it's just case size and mine isn't small, it's a full size pc case. My power supply is a 600 watt because i got it for the gpu.

What PSU do you have exactly? Post the exact model from the PSU label.

Ok so with a 600w you can even have a Titan RTX

That's the completely wrong way of thinking... you need to know the quality of the PSU( by quality I meant: topology, quality of the components, voltage regulation, ripple, platform, efficiency) before making any assumptions. There are "600W" that in reality can provide much less and are...

Guest610077

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
First, what is you motherboard model. Does is have PCIe slots?
Second, I your case a microtower is desktop? That depends if you need a low profile card or not
Thrid, what power supply? Your whole build should take around 600w of PSU power

SatiricMoney

Reputable
Mar 22, 2020
First, what is you motherboard model. Does is have PCIe slots?
Second, I your case a microtower is desktop? That depends if you need a low profile card or not
Thrid, what power supply? Your whole build should take around 600w of PSU power
The board is apparently a Skybay, it has an Intel Skylake Chipset and an intel H170 in the Southbridge. It does have PCIE slots. I don't know what a microtower but from what i looked up it's just case size and mine isn't small, it's a full size pc case. My power supply is a 600 watt because i got it for the gpu.

Guest610077

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Ok so this is a guide to all of them
pc-form-factors.jpg

Ok so with a 600w you can even have a Titan RTX but cuz thats really expensive i would say a GTX 1060 ti or GTX 1070 can play as the recommended is a 1060 but because your cpu is the bare mimimum accourding to the requirements. There may be bottlenecking aka you cpu doesnt let you gpu go to it full potential

What PSU do you have exactly? Post the exact model from the PSU label.

Ok so with a 600w you can even have a Titan RTX

That's the completely wrong way of thinking... you need to know the quality of the PSU( by quality I meant: topology, quality of the components, voltage regulation, ripple, platform, efficiency) before making any assumptions. There are "600W" that in reality can provide much less and are dangerous to even use in a PC.
To give you an example... there has been a thread where the user had a "500W" PSU that could only output 168W in reality... you'll need an extinguisher for that, seriously.

Solution