[SOLVED] What CPU would you recommend for this scenario?

Aug 23, 2020
Hey everyone!

I’m looking to build my first PC for gaming (mainly Minecraft and some Overwatch right now, and non-competitively), streaming, video editing, 3D animation and CGI, and rendering.

None of those will be done professionally now; right now I just want to experiment with those tasks, to see if I would like to pursue any of them professionally in the future. (Which also introduces the question: should I buy a less powerful CPU now and upgrade later if necessary, or buy a more powerful one now to prepare in advance? Which would be more cost effective?)

I’ve done lots of research about reviews and comparisons of different CPUs, and the CPU recommendations I’ve seen often are i5-10600K, i5-10600 overclocked with extra cooling, Ryzen 7 3700X, Ryzen 5 3600X, and Ryzen 5 3600 overclocked with extra cooling. (I haven’t ever overclocked before, but I’m willing to try experimenting with it if it’s worth it).

What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Solution
I think the 3700x. The extra cores and threads will help with the non gaming work. It can happily run on cheaper motherboard and cooling options than the Intel’s and the performance difference is negligible.
I second the 3700x with a good 240-280 AIO or NH-D15 Noctua style cooler...combined with fast 3600mhz memory, NVME drives, and a solid GPU and you'll pretty much be able to do as you please. If I was building today I would go with a mid level B550 board to have the PCI-E 4 support for future upgrades.

Reactions: kurdtnz
As a dissenting opinion, consider the i5-10600K.
Here is a review:
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2070-super-08g-p4-3173-kr/p/N82E16814487453?&quicklink=true

On overclocking, realize that your results will be determined by your luck in getting a good chip.
The non K suffix i5-10600 can not be overclocked.
The ryzen chips are binned and the stronger chips are used in the more expensive processors.
As a rule, ryzen is essentially pre-overclocked. You may get a bit more, but do not count on it.
Intel K suffix processors might do 5.0.
Ryzen may top out at 4.4

All of your choices are reasonable.
Gaming will depend more on the graphics card than on the processor.
None of your choices require a top cooler.
A simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan will do the job.

Aug 23, 2020
Hey everyone!

I’m looking to build my first PC for gaming (mainly Minecraft and some Overwatch right now, and non-competitively), 1080p 60FPS streaming, video editing, 3D animation and CGI, and rendering. (I know that gaming performance is mostly determined by the GPU, but Minecraft is more CPU-intensive than usual for a game).

None of those will be done professionally now; right now I just want to experiment with those tasks, to see if I would like to pursue any of them professionally in the future. (Which also introduces the question: should I buy a less powerful CPU now and upgrade later if necessary, or buy a more powerful one now to prepare in advance? Which would be more cost effective?)

I’ve done lots of research about reviews and comparisons of different CPUs, and the CPU recommendations I’ve seen most often are i5-10600K, Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 5 3600 overclocked and with extra cooling. (I haven’t ever tried overclocking before, but I’m willing to try experimenting with it if it’s worth it).

What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help!