Question What CPUs are recommended for standard Buster kernel (4.29) ?

startman

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
I intend to upgrade system to Linux Debian Buster and would like to know which are the latest Intel CPUs that will work with the standard Buster kernel (4.19). I have heard that the latest 9th generation Intel CPUs may not work with this kernel. Will any 8th generation CPU work okay ?

^ I am using 8'th gen mobile i7, without issues. That one should be fine for a while already.
Any reason why you think about 9'th gen will not work ? I think it was the case for ~4.19.20 ish versions not ~4.19.220 that are recent.
if you will take any 4.19.200+ it should be supported

startman

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
^ I am using 8'th gen mobile i7, without issues. That one should be fine for a while already.
Any reason why you think about 9'th gen will not work ? I think it was the case for ~4.19.20 ish versions not ~4.19.220 that are recent.
if you will take any 4.19.200+ it should be supported
I wish to use the stable release of Debian Buster, as I do not know a lot about the workings of Linux.

I am now considering using a second generation AMD Ryzen CPU. I understand there have been problems using 3rd generation AMD Ryzen CPUs with the stable release of Debian Buster.

Will AMD Ryzen 5 2500X and AMD Ryzen 5 2600E work with the stable release of Buster without any problems ?

I wish to use the stable release of Debian Buster, as I do not know a lot about the workings of Linux.

I am now considering using a second generation AMD Ryzen CPU. I understand there have been problems using 3rd generation AMD Ryzen CPUs with the stable release of Debian Buster.

Will AMD Ryzen 5 2500X and AMD Ryzen 5 2600E work with the stable release of Buster without any problems ?
I havent tried buster but I did ubuntu on 4.18 kernel A LOT.
Also its used for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS so I expect it to be very unlucky to see issues at this point.
for ryzen 3XXX series you need 5.3 for good support but problems I know about are all minor for normal user.