What CPU's can my PC support (Gateway DX4840)

Gabewil

Prominent
May 14, 2017
I got this old PC (gateway dx4840-03e) that has an i3 540 in it. I want to turn it in to a budget gaming pc, but wanted to upgrade the CPU to an i5-2400. Can someone help me out and tell me what cpu's it supports?

Thanks

Solution
An i5-2400 is right out, it's a different socket altogether and you'd need a new motherboard and if you were going to buy a new motherboard, you shouldn't go with such an old platform.

One problem is that it's an old OEM motherboard with poor documentation from a defunct brand bought by Acer. Given that this model sold with an i5, it's likely that the 73W Westmere i5 CPUs (650, 660, 670, 680) will work. But there's no guarantee as these types of companies don't always let their BIOSs read upgraded CPUs; it's much more profitable for them for you to buy a new PC from them rather than upgrading an existing one.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
An i5-2400 is right out, it's a different socket altogether and you'd need a new motherboard and if you were going to buy a new motherboard, you shouldn't go with such an old platform.

One problem is that it's an old OEM motherboard with poor documentation from a defunct brand bought by Acer. Given that this model sold with an i5, it's likely that the 73W Westmere i5 CPUs (650, 660, 670, 680) will work. But there's no guarantee as these types of companies don't always let their BIOSs read upgraded CPUs; it's much more profitable for them for you to buy a new PC from them rather than upgrading an existing one.

Solution

Gabewil

Prominent
May 14, 2017

Alright, thanks.