What CPUs in Dell Optiplex SX270?

I'll get a Dell Optiplex SX270 without CPU. I know that Dell sold these
computers with 2.4GHz Celeron (128k Cache/400MHZ FSB) and with Pentium4
(Northwood w. 512k Cache, 533/800MHz FSB).

I plan to use either a Celeron 3066MHz (256k Cache, FSB 533, Prescott core)
or a Pentium4 2.8GHz with 1MB Cache and Prescott core (also 533MHz FSB).

Anyone know if these will work? Of course assuming the latest BIOS (A06) is
installed...

Benjamin

Docs are here;
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/index.htm

> Pen wrote:
>
>> Docs are here;
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/index.htm
>
> Thanks, but I already know the docs. They say exactly zero about which
> CPUs work in the SX270 and which don't...
>
> Benjamin

Actually, Pen's link tells you about all you need to know regarding CPU
support.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/specs.htm

It's an Intel 865 chipset board (not unlike say the Dimension 4600). This
suggests a Celeron/P4 478-pin of either 400mhz or 533mhz FSB/external clock
(Northwood or Prescott judging from L2 cache specs.)speeds. However, (if not
mistaken) your box is a small form factor.

May I advise a Dell copper-cored heatsink if you attempt to place a 3GHz or
above CPU in the system, because it's going to run plenty warm.

Stew

put in the service tag on the Dell web site and you can see what was
installed at the factory when the PC shipped

Wayne

S.Lewis wrote:

> Actually, Pen's link tells you about all you need to know regarding
> CPU support.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/specs.htm
>
> It's an Intel 865 chipset board (not unlike say the Dimension 4600). This
> suggests a Celeron/P4 478-pin of either 400mhz or 533mhz

....or 800Mhz

> FSB/external clock (Northwood or Prescott judging from L2 cache
> specs.)speeds. However, (if not mistaken) your box is a small form
> factor.

That's what I already know. Sadly, CPU support isn't only a thing of the
chipset but also mainly a thing of a BIOS being able to recognize the CPU
and provide microcode for it...

Dell certainly doesn't provide a list wof working CPUs as they only support
the CPUs they sold the system with...

> May I advise a Dell copper-cored heatsink if you attempt to place a
> 3GHz or above CPU in the system, because it's going to run plenty
> warm.

I think the computer comes with the original copper heatsink. But I won't
buy a processor without being sure it works in this system...

Benjamin

> S.Lewis wrote:
>
>> Actually, Pen's link tells you about all you need to know regarding
>> CPU support.
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/specs.htm
>>
>> It's an Intel 865 chipset board (not unlike say the Dimension 4600). This
>> suggests a Celeron/P4 478-pin of either 400mhz or 533mhz
>
> ...or 800Mhz
>
>> FSB/external clock (Northwood or Prescott judging from L2 cache
>> specs.)speeds. However, (if not mistaken) your box is a small form
>> factor.
>
> That's what I already know. Sadly, CPU support isn't only a thing of the
> chipset but also mainly a thing of a BIOS being able to recognize the CPU
> and provide microcode for it...
>
> Dell certainly doesn't provide a list wof working CPUs as they only
> support the CPUs they sold the system with...
>
>> May I advise a Dell copper-cored heatsink if you attempt to place a
>> 3GHz or above CPU in the system, because it's going to run plenty
>> warm.
>
> I think the computer comes with the original copper heatsink. But I won't
> buy a processor without being sure it works in this system...
>
> Benjamin

Since it supports PC3200/400mhz DDR, it may indeed support an 800mhz FSB CPU
(BIOS considerations aside).

Can't help thinking that I wouldn't pour a bunch of money into that
particular box - but that's just me.

If the original CPU was less than 3.0GHz, it's not likely to have a copper
core heatsink. And if it had a Celeron, it's likely a standard aluminum
HS.....

Stew