Question What dac/amp should I get to pair with a pair of ath m50x?

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Going to be ordering a pair of audio technica ath m50x headphones and wanted to know what dac/amp I should pair with it? I will be using them for strictly gaming.

D

Deleted member 217926

To be more clear about that, the M50X won't benefit from anything better. Also if you haven't bought the M50X....don't. Bloated bass that bleeds into and colors the recessed mids and wonky treble all in the most uncomfortable chassis you can buy. One of the few headphones I wouldn't recommend at all.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
To be more clear about that, the M50X won't benefit from anything better. Also if you haven't bought the M50X....don't. Bloated bass that bleeds into and colors the recessed mids and wonky treble all in the most uncomfortable chassis you can buy. One of the few headphones I wouldn't recommend at all.
So what are some headphones you would suggest than for gaming?

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
So what would you recommend?

I have not actually tried them, but many reviews of that headphone say it's not as good as the M40, especially when the M40 has different pads put on.

D

Deleted member 217926

The M40X sound better but the M40X is also an 'on ear' design and some people don't like that especially for long gaming sessions. The M50X is about the same for comfort despite being 'over ear'.

Total budget? Is it necessary for them to be closed back?

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
The M40X sound better but the M40X is also an 'on ear' design and some people don't like that especially for long gaming sessions. The M50X is about the same for comfort despite being 'over ear'.

Total budget? Is it necessary for them to be closed back?
It’s not necessary for them to be closed and I would say like 300$max

D

Deleted member 217926

No amp needed, huge soundstage and great imaging for gaming and 10/10 comfort. The HD598 was my first 'good' headphone and I kept it almost 10 years. I sold it last year on ebay for almost the same price I got it new for in 2012. The 599 is just a revised, retuned 598.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Get it right now while it's on sale for Amazon day. It's been $199 since Covid started.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...RFNZYJZ/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07RFNZYJZ&psc=1
I had the regular hd 599 the ivory colored ones with the brown ear pads. There was a weird static in the one ear cup and the one ear pad cause you can slide them up and down broke off the track. I’m not rough on my equipment I have a headphone stand I put my headphone on every time I get off my pc. So I wasn’t a huge fan of those.

I had the regular hd 599 the ivory colored ones with the brown ear pads. There was a weird static in the one ear cup and the one ear pad cause you can slide them up and down broke off the track. I’m not rough on my equipment I have a headphone stand I put my headphone on every time I get off my pc. So I wasn’t a huge fan of those.

I've never had any quality issues with Sennheisers. For $300 I would not go near the M50.

The HD6XX from Drop.com are great

HIFIMAN HE4XX are also interesting if you want to try a Planar set, those are probably the best planar headphone for the money.

Or get a set of M40 with upgraded pads.

Icecole25

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I've never had any quality issues with Sennheisers. For $300 I would not go near the M50.

The HD6XX from Drop.com are great

HIFIMAN HE4XX are also interesting if you want to try a Planar set, those are probably the best planar headphone for the money.

Or get a set of M40 with upgraded pads.
I ended up ordering the m40s with a upgraded set of pads