What damage can smoke on computer cause?

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016
So i have been having problems with my place i have a roommate who smokes around the entrance to my place i keep telling this person to stop but wont. See my door is not well insulated so smoke comes in.

well this person finally stopped for the longest time but returned to doing it and when i turned on my computer i noticed i am getting bsod's it goes by so fast i cant read it but the system automatically reboots, was this caused by this person smoking? programs that detect bsod's say there were no problems

Solution

Second hand smoke at that level should not cause a BSOD. OK, maybe after a few years, and you never clean it.

USAFRet

Titan

Second hand smoke at that level should not cause a BSOD. OK, maybe after a few years, and you never clean it.

Solution

mwryder55

Distinguished
Our office had a number of chain smokers before the laws changed and we never had any problems with the computers. At times the smoke layer was all the way to the floor. Now some of the screens developed a very heavy layer of tar and nicotine but they kept working.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I smoked for years around my computers. Aside from the stickier than normal build up in the heat sink fins, it didn't cause any permanent damage. As for the BSODs, there should be a setting in BIOS that toggles whether the system reboots on error. Switch that to OFF and your system should not reboot on a BSOD; allowing you to see the error message.

-Wolf sends

alpha_2000

Honorable
Jul 17, 2016
what would the setting that toggles a bsod be called in my bios? Also this may be related but before i get the bsod's i think my disk usage gets to 100% but hdd sentinel says my hard drive is fine

g-unit1111

Titan

Nothing really toggles a BSOD. It's something that either happens or it doesn't. Most of the time it's usually related more to software than it is to hardware.

Wolfshadw

Titan

It's probably called something like Boot On Error or Restart On Error.

-Wolf sends

mwryder55

Distinguished

The setting I remember seeing in the BIOS is a "Halt on Error" where you can choose what do if there is no keyboard detected, etc. But this only applies while booting the computer and has nothing to do when it crashes later due to a hardware or software problem.