What determined if you can crossfire 2 cards?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I have been under the impression the model must be exactly the same, but then I saw this test. They use a rx480 crossfire with a rx580, both msi gaming x. So as long as they are both gaming x? Does this mean I can crossfire my 480 with a 590 when it comes out or even a vega?

Planning to get a 4k 65 or 70 inch 120hz oled tv to use as my display for gaming. I know a lot of games don't scale well with crossfire and I might not even do it unless my games will benefit, but just curious how you know which cards can be used and what the max option is.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2886-crossfire-rx-580-rx-480-benchmarks-vs-single-gpu/page-3

They mix the 2 here. I know with a vega or something higher it would go as slow as the 480, but still could be worth buying the next amd over nvidia if in crossfire some games could run higher fps than the better gpu alone and then disable as needed.

Solution
Amd let's you crossfire the same family. These are the same die but binned or rebranded. In the case of the 480 and 580, it was simply a rebranding. They are exactly the same gpu.