[SOLVED] What did going from a TN to an IPS panel feel like?

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I have never used a TN monitor, only IPS. I've read so many discussions about how happy people are with their 120/144 Hz monitors after having used 60 Hz ones, but not so many TN to IPS discussions. So, how did it feel when you went from TN to IPS? Did you also go up in size and refresh rate at the same time? :D

I'm on a 27" 1440p 60 Hz IPS monitor at the moment. Might buy a 144 Hz one someday when I have a better GPU. :)

Solution
A higher refresh rate IPS panel with a very low GTG response time would be a nice move for you since the other common aspects of IPS don't bother you. Just be sure to pay attention to professional reviews on whether the black uniformity is poor or good, because that can definitely be a deal breaker on some IPS panels even though they have good color accuracy. Nothing worse than blacks that look dark gray in places Brightness usually isn't a big issue on IPS, but uniformity CAN be simply due to the way many of them are designed.
Like going from chunky to creamy smooth, peanut butter. LOL.

Personally, I don't think most gamers would care to go from TN to IPS though. Color accuracy, which is the main benefit of an IPS panel, isn't nearly as important for gaming and the IPS glow on those can be annoying especially if like many gamers do, you have a room that isn't all that bright and it shows up a lot. Depends a lot on the monitor though I suppose.

Reactions: Countess_C

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Personally, I don't think most gamers would care to go from TN to IPS though. Color accuracy, which is the main benefit of an IPS panel, isn't nearly as important for gaming and the IPS glow on those can be annoying especially if like many gamers do, you have a room that isn't all that bright and it shows up a lot. Depends a lot on the monitor though I suppose.
True, true. I watch film and edit pics a lot, so I like my IPS monitor for the colour accuracy and good viewing angles. I do play games, but mostly Sims 3, so 60 Hz is alright. The IPS glow doesn't bother me. :)

A higher refresh rate IPS panel with a very low GTG response time would be a nice move for you since the other common aspects of IPS don't bother you. Just be sure to pay attention to professional reviews on whether the black uniformity is poor or good, because that can definitely be a deal breaker on some IPS panels even though they have good color accuracy. Nothing worse than blacks that look dark gray in places Brightness usually isn't a big issue on IPS, but uniformity CAN be simply due to the way many of them are designed.

Solution

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Good advice. :) Yeah, I always read professional reviews before I buy stuff like this. I hate to buy expensive things and then feel disappointed. It will take a while before I get a new monitor, though. I've just spent a lot on my new PC.

Tbh i dont notice the difference in response time between a 60hz tn laptop screen to a 60hz ips laptop screen to my 60hz va monitor.

I do however notice the colors and viewing angles. Va and ips are in a completely different league with way better colors and viewing angles than tn.

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
I was using TN panel 1ms responsetime 4k (3840x2160) 60Hz monitor for 2 years.
Now i bought a IPS panel 4ms responsetime 2k (25601440) 144hz +with gsync

The most diffrence for me is the colors:

The 4k monitor = Display Colors : 1073.7M (10bit)
The 2k monitor = Display Colors : 16.7M (real 8 bit)

For me thats a huge diffrence in color space, or maybe its just the IPS and TN look complelty diffrent?

144Hz feels smooth and good to play but i miss the colors from TN panel.
Also 1ms and 4ms are noticable diffrence for me, i can say that after using 1ms for 2years.
Its a tiny but noticable diffrence, especally when playing shoother-games.

4k has nothing to do with colors and the color support on an IPS panel is practically, always, better on an IPS panel than it is on a TN panel. It's likely you need to calibrate your display and tune the settings for best color and contrast.

But let's not discuss that here. You'd want to make your own thread for that. Thanks for sharing, even though it's about two months late. :)

TRENDING THREADS