[SOLVED] What did I break? (doesn't boot after GPU switch)

Slapstick83

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
I just built a new comp, which worked great, but my GPU had some coil whine so I thought I'd try another similar card.
Old card out, new card in: no picture.
New card out, old card in: Still no picture
Try GPU in another slot: no picture
Try GPU in another pc: PICTURE!

I have no idea what may have happened. Fans and mb lights seems to be ok. I don't even get to boot.
What is most likely the source of the problem? Could I've accidentally nicked something on the MB and killed it?

PSU: Corsair HX850i
MB: Asus Strix x470-F Gaming
GPU's: RTX 2080ti
Memory: G.Skill Flare X DDR4 16GB KIT 3200Mhz

All brand new.

Last edited:
Solution
Ah, now I see my MB is indicating with a warning light that there's a VGA error. (Bright white on the MB). So for some reason the PCI'e slots has died? The gpu's work fine in other pc.

The PCIe slot or the motherboard.
Make sure to power off computer, turn off PSU power button, disconnect the power cord and press the power button to discharge capacitors...before you start working inside the computer. That will prevent static discharges that could damage components.
Make sure the GPU and the power cables are seated properly.
Also check if by accident you knock out some other cables (ATX power cables.)
Coil whine could also be caused by a bad PSU.
Could you post your system components (GPU, PSU models, etc)?

Slapstick83

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
Make sure the GPU and the power cables are seated properly.
Also check if by accident you knock out some other cables (ATX power cables.)
Coil whine could also be caused by a bad PSU.
Could you post your system components (GPU, PSU models, etc)?

Thanks for the reply. I don't see any other cables that might be out. I could of course try the psu in the other pc of course. Also, updated main post with the components

Slapstick83

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
Ah, now I see my MB is indicating with a warning light that there's a VGA error. (Bright white on the MB). So for some reason the PCI'e slots has died? The gpu's work fine in other pc.

The PCIe slot or the motherboard.
Make sure to power off computer, turn off PSU power button, disconnect the power cord and press the power button to discharge capacitors...before you start working inside the computer. That will prevent static discharges that could damage components.

Solution

mgallo848

Commendable
Check all other wires connected to the motherboard (even the CPU power wire in the upper left corner of the mobo)

It may be possible that something jarred a little loose when you swapped out the cards.

(just a guess on this) you could unplug the power cord, remove the BIOS battery for 1 minute then put it back in and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slapstick83