[SOLVED] What did I do wrong in my build? (RESOLVED)

Nov 29, 2021
Hey guys, I just recently upgraded a few components in my PC, at first just the CPU/Mobo. Everything was fine in the initial Windows install with my 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (XMP 1.0). Then my new RAM came in (Trident Z 2x16GB 3600MHz XMP2.0) which I installed... I had black screens, blue screens, everything in between. Mobo status LED's were flickering on DRAM at first. Then CPU. Then both simultaneously. Read the manual over again, made sure the recommended channels were correct. Cleared CMOS. Reset. I've spent HOURS trying to troubleshoot. I couldn't even run SFC or DISM in safe boot. with this RAM installed. The farthest I've made it was when I signed into windows and then my Mouse/Keyboard wouldn't work so I had to restart and never got that far again. Eventually I just put my old RAM back in and I'm fine now but it doesn't give me any closure.

Any insight into this? I'm assuming either bad RAM, or I missed the part where i7 can't handle 3600MHz

(PS I didn't proof read this so I'm sure I missed something in my frustration, let me know what info I can include).

Specs:

Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4
Intel i7-12700K
G SKILL Trident Z 2x16GB 3600MHz (XMP 2.0)
EVGA RTX2080
EVGA 1000W 80+ G2 PSU

EDIT: Gigabyte's F3 BIOS was unstable with 3600MHz Trident Z RGB RAM. F6a BIOS is now running with no problems as of right now. Not sure if relevant to the issue but I also performed a clean install of Win10 Pro after updating BIOS & installing new RAM.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey guys, I just recently upgraded a few components in my PC, at first just the CPU/Mobo. Everything was fine in the initial Windows install with my 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (XMP 1.0). Then my new RAM came in (Trident Z 2x16GB 3600MHz XMP2.0) which I installed... I had black screens, blue screens, everything in between. Mobo status LED's were flickering on DRAM at first. Then CPU. Then both simultaneously. Read the manual over again, made sure the recommended channels were correct. Cleared CMOS. Reset. I've spent HOURS trying to troubleshoot. I couldn't even run SFC or DISM in safe boot. with this RAM installed. The farthest I've made it was when I signed into windows and then my Mouse/Keyboard wouldn't work so I had to...
Hey guys, I just recently upgraded a few components in my PC, at first just the CPU/Mobo. Everything was fine in the initial Windows install with my 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (XMP 1.0). Then my new RAM came in (Trident Z 2x16GB 3600MHz XMP2.0) which I installed... I had black screens, blue screens, everything in between. Mobo status LED's were flickering on DRAM at first. Then CPU. Then both simultaneously. Read the manual over again, made sure the recommended channels were correct. Cleared CMOS. Reset. I've spent HOURS trying to troubleshoot. I couldn't even run SFC or DISM in safe boot. with this RAM installed. The farthest I've made it was when I signed into windows and then my Mouse/Keyboard wouldn't work so I had to restart and never got that far again. Eventually I just put my old RAM back in and I'm fine now but it doesn't give me any closure.

Any insight into this? I'm assuming either bad RAM, or I missed the part where i7 can't handle 3600MHz

(PS I didn't proof read this so I'm sure I missed something in my frustration, let me know what info I can include).

Specs:

Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4
Intel i7-12700K
G SKILL Trident Z 2x16GB 3600MHz (XMP 2.0)
EVGA RTX2080

Hey there,

So, neither your CPU (IMC) or mobo should have any difficulty running 3600mhz DIMMs. With that said, sometimes there can be compatibility issues.

First thing I'd do is ensure latest bios is installed. Then after bios install clear CMOS again. You might test your ram outside of windows with memtest86+ for 4 passes, and make sure there are no errors. Then try setting the timings manually in the bios. This is for the most part straight forward. Change the mem voltage to 1.35 and set the primary timings as per the sticker which is typically on the side of the DIMMs, or get the info from CPU z (but you can't do that unless your get to your desktop)

If they don't work after that, RMA them.

Solution
Nov 29, 2021
Hey there,

So, neither your CPU (IMC) or mobo should have any difficulty running 3600mhz DIMMs. With that said, sometimes there can be compatibility issues.

First thing I'd do is ensure latest bios is installed. Then after bios install clear CMOS again. You might test your ram outside of windows with memtest86+ for 4 passes, and make sure there are no errors. Then try setting the timings manually in the bios. This is for the most part straight forward. Change the mem voltage to 1.35 and set the primary timings as per the sticker which is typically on the side of the DIMMs, or get the info from CPU z (but you can't do that unless your get to your desktop)

If they don't work after that, RMA them.

You I would think that a Z690 Mobo would be ready for ANY DDR4 RAM out of the box...

I just got done with a BIOS update from F3 to F6a. I'm replying to your comment with my 3600MHz RAM installed. Thank you. A simple fix to such a frustrating problem...LOL

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
It was. Gigabyte F3 BIOS would not take the 3600MHz for some reason. I updated to F6a and re-installed Windows since mine was corrupted (not sure if OS really has any thing to do with the issue or not), but needless to say we are stable now...

Glad you got it solved so quickly. Unstable RAM, so unstable it crashes your system constantly absolutely can corrupt Windows. It's just a question of when. Not if. Even with RAM that only makes one error every now and then will eventually corrupt.

TRENDING THREADS