Question What did I fry???

Jun 20, 2020
Hi guys, I made an extremely stupid mistake when building my new PC ,one that I'm sure comes up every so often around here.

In my new EVGA G3 750 PSU I used an 8 pin connector that came from my previous PSU, a SilverStone SX650-G to my GTX 1080 Ti graphics card.

All other PSU cables were those that came with the EVGA power supply but this one to the GPU was not and after some research I'm very worried.

The PC won't boot or display any activity whatsoever. I took it to a shop to check out before realizing my mistake and will be bringing the proper cable ASAP.

My question is: based on these parts, namely the PSUs involved, what components did I likely fry?

The GPU? The PSU? Is it possible to fry a motherboard through incorrect power routed to the GPU?

Thank you for any insight.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi guys, I made an extremely stupid mistake when building my new PC ,one that I'm sure comes up every so often around here.

In my new EVGA G3 750 PSU I used an 8 pin connector that came from my previous PSU, a SilverStone SX650-G to my GTX 1080 Ti graphics card.

All other PSU cables were those that came with the EVGA power supply but this one to the GPU was not and after some research I'm very worried.

The PC won't boot or display any activity whatsoever. I took it to a shop to check out before realizing my mistake and will be bringing the proper cable ASAP.

My question is: based on these parts, namely the PSUs involved, what components did I likely fry?

The GPU? The PSU? Is it possible to fry a motherboard through incorrect power routed to the GPU?

Thank you for any insight.

You probably didn't fry the motherboard, but there's a chance you fried the GPU. Modular cables are not standardized on the end that connects to the power supply, only the end that connects to the component. Without knowing the exact pinout of the SilverStone, it's hard to say what happened, it can range from it just not being able to boot with the pinout to destroying the GPU.

Do you have a CPU with integrated graphics? You can test the rest of the rig without the GPU, if this is the case.

Reactions: CountMike
Jun 20, 2020
No way to give a concrete answer to this without testing it and see; process of elimination.

Look at it this way: The psu is the heart of the system. If it dies/fries, anything and everything can go out with it.

Yeah.....it's sort of out of my hands now, since it's at the shop. I am going to bring them the right cables first thing Monday morning when they reopen and I guess will see the results of testing for what may have gotten nuked.

Was looking for some context of what I might expect, obviously pretty beat up over it.

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully the damage is restricted to the GPU and PSU.

Jun 20, 2020
You probably didn't fry the motherboard, but there's a chance you fried the GPU. Modular cables are not standardized on the end that connects to the power supply, only the end that connects to the component. Without knowing the exact pinout of the SilverStone, it's hard to say what happened, it can range from it just not being able to boot with the pinout to destroying the GPU.

Do you have a CPU with integrated graphics? You can test the rest of the rig without the GPU, if this is the case.

Thanks for this reply! Motherboard has some basic integrated graphics but CPU does not, so really crossing my fingers this is what happens! Should be able to test this way.

The PSU never made any sparking, hissing, etc, just nothing turned on at all, so hoping that it's just shorting in such a way that it's not damaging and just not allowing a boot like you said.

Thank you!