[SOLVED] What did the PC repair shop do to fix my computer?

MarkT3001

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
My self build PC was always freezing when Windows 10 was loading and would basically not start, so I took it to a repair shop and they fixed most of the problem it now starts.
Except there is a problem, it seems when a major Windows update is installing which requires a restart it still freezes on start up, I then have to do a power reset and then after it finishes the update and starts normally.
It also freezes when I try and install AMD Radeon software, usually on detecting the hardware part of the installation.
I am curious what the PC repair shop probably did to fix the initial problem as I got someone else to pick up the computer from them and they did not ask what had been done to fix it, none of the hardware had been changed.
I don't feel like taking the computer back to them at the moment if I can fix the freezing on updates myself.

Solution
If it were ME, I'd just do a clean install of Windows to get rid of ALL the potential OS problems, including getting on the MOST recent build version of Windows without having to then go through all the updates, and then install the latest drivers from your motherboard product page for the network drivers (LAN/Ethernet and if equipped, WiFi) and audio drivers, and then install the latest motherboard chipset drivers from either the AMD or Intel website followed by reinstalling your programs. You can backup your browser favorites and personal files to make putting them back easier afterwards.

If it were ME, I'd just do a clean install of Windows to get rid of ALL the potential OS problems, including getting on the MOST recent build version of Windows without having to then go through all the updates, and then install the latest drivers from your motherboard product page for the network drivers (LAN/Ethernet and if equipped, WiFi) and audio drivers, and then install the latest motherboard chipset drivers from either the AMD or Intel website followed by reinstalling your programs. You can backup your browser favorites and personal files to make putting them back easier afterwards.

Reactions: vMax
Solution

MarkT3001

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019

Did a clean installation of Windows on a different hard drive, everything seems to be working now.