What difference do the graphic cards make

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Sorry, I am a newbie and my quesiton might sound dumb.
I am just wondering as to what difference do the graphic cards make to a gaming PC.
If a Motherboard already has integrated graphics and has DVI/HDMI outputs, what is the use of a graphics card.

Could someone please explain that or give me url to any such article!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
if you have a good integrated card, or only need HD playback and such, then a low end card capable of high resolutions is what you would need. A dedicated graphics card is just that- an extra unit made solely for graphics output and have their own board and power plug to function. There are low end, mid ranged, and high end cards, what you do will determine which one to get. For an HTPC, a good integrated will do just fine, and if you want light gaming, there are tons of cards to choose from out there to fit your needs.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Dude just Google what do graphic cards do. Essentially they allow one to play games at higher frames per second without the reduction in resolution or graphic quality.

There are of course many nuances and difference from one graphic card to the next and graphic cards are not limited to games. I guess what I am saying is the question is too vague.

phendric

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
An integrated graphics card packs more hardware and can draw more power to give you more oomph when gaming. Try playing a graphics-intensive game with your integrated graphics, and you'll be on the road that same day to get a discrete card...

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks phendric, now this is making some sense to me.
So if I understand that correct, a graphics card enhances the graphics which integrated graphics would never.
Now if one is not a gamer, would a graphics card still be advisable!!?

if you have a good integrated card, or only need HD playback and such, then a low end card capable of high resolutions is what you would need. A dedicated graphics card is just that- an extra unit made solely for graphics output and have their own board and power plug to function. There are low end, mid ranged, and high end cards, what you do will determine which one to get. For an HTPC, a good integrated will do just fine, and if you want light gaming, there are tons of cards to choose from out there to fit your needs.

Solution