Question what direction should fans blow inside Antec 302 case?

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Apologies about pestering you all again. It's been awhile, and I had to change what case to get yet again. I think I'll return to my first choice which was the Antec 302 case, although I'm still not sure that the PSU I have will fit - conflicting info.

How many fans should I use in the case? The case comes with 2 fans installed - one at top and another at rear. I can install up to 4 more fans - 2 in front and 1 on each side.

If I add a fan to the side panel, should I position it to blow air onto the mobo or should I position it to blow the air to the outside of the case into my room? I don't have the case yet, so I don't know what direction the pre-installed fans blow air. I'm leaning to buying 2 fans to install in the front and one on side but don't know if that is just overkill on my part.

Subject to how things actually fit into the case, my build will be:
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk mobo
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G CPU with Wraith cooler fan (stock)
16GB DDR4 4000 RAM (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance)
GPU - NONE, I'll use the integrated graphics of the CPU instead
DVD drive
HDD - internal, 1 or 2
Super Flower Leadex III 550W PSU
Antec 302 ATX case with 2 fans maybe up to 5

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
The two fans that came bundled with the case should be set to exhaust. Mind sharing how you plan to mount two fans to the front? I see the venting but the innards of the case will prevent any functional airflow to take place and cool components. The price of the 4 fans should equate to a brand new case...I'd pick up a Phanteks P300 if I were in your shoes.

If you're going to pick an matx motherboard, you could wok with a Coolermaster NR400 or an MB400L and wrap up the build.

Reactions: RodroX

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
The two fans that came bundled with the case should be set to exhaust. Mind sharing how you plan to mount two fans to the front? I see the venting but the innards of the case will prevent any functional airflow to take place and cool components. The price of the 4 fans should equate to a brand new case...I'd pick up a Phanteks P300 if I were in your shoes.

If you're going to pick an matx motherboard, you could wok with a Coolermaster NR400 or an MB400L and wrap up the build.
page 5 of Antec 302 user manual notes space for 2 optional 120mm fans. Looking at it, I understand your skepticism. I'll have to wait and see. Did you really mean matx as in micro board? The MSI board is a full-fledged ATX mobo. The case you mention does not fit my requirements - no 5.25" external bays.

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Another person explained that it's not a good idea to have two fans blowing air at each other because it defeats the purpose of the cooling effort. Duh, sorry. Please consider my question answered, and mark this thread as such. Thanks.