Question What do 2 long beeps mean on a Lenovo Legion PC ?

Apr 22, 2023
What do 2 long beeps mean on a Lenovo Legion T5 26AMR5 Tower PC ? The PC turns on but the screen stays black. I tried removing my RAM, GPU and my SSD one by one, none of which has helped.

The motherboard is a B550 Micro ATX.

Recording of the beeps: https://voca.ro/19DYi7ZPY05k

Last edited:
That's 2 short beeps. I have exactly 2 distinctly long beeps. No short beeps, and no beeps before or after the 2 long ones.
Beep codes and post errors are peculiar to different BIOS', not the chipset. While it may be based on a Phoenix or AMI or someone else Lenovo (like Dell and HP) probably make proprietary customizations so it's likely to be different. And whether a beep code is short or long can be hard to determine when both are the same.

With 2 beeps there should be an on-screen display of a code that you can use: see page 36 of your manual. If there is no display I'd suspect the GPU.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023
Beep codes and post errors are peculiar to different BIOS', not the chipset. While it may be based on a Phoenix or AMI or someone else Lenovo (like Dell and HP) probably make proprietary customizations so it's likely to be different. And whether a beep code is short or long can be hard to determine when both are the same.

With 2 beeps there should be an on-screen display of a code that you can use: see page 36 of your manual. If there is no display I'd suspect the GPU.
Removing the GPU does not get rid of the beep codes, and since I have a Ryzen 5 5600G with onboard integrated graphics, the beep code almost certainly doesn't have anything to do with no GPU being active.

The manual does show what 2 short beeps mean, but I'd need to be able to see my screen to see the exact POST error. That being said, this still leaves the question of what 2 long beeps mean, which I can't find any information on anywhere. I would also like to add, after resetting the CMOS and testing each slot again, I noticed that putting either RAM stick in DIMM 1 produced 2 long beeps, however putting either of them in DIMM 2 produced 2 short beeps, still leaving the display black in both cases. And yes, the difference between the long and short beeps was very clear and distinct.

At this point, would it be reasonable to assume the motherboard is the issue? Because if it were anything else, I don't see why using DIMM 1 vs DIMM 2 would generate different beep codes, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Removing the GPU does not get rid of the beep codes, and since I have a Ryzen 5 5600G with onboard graphics, the beep code almost certainly doesn't have anything to do with no GPU being active.

The manual does show what 2 short beeps mean, but I'd need to be able to see my screen to see the exact POST error. That being said, this still leaves the question of what 2 long beeps mean, which I can't find any information on anywhere. I would also like to add, after resetting the CMOS and testing each slot again, I noticed that putting either RAM stick in DIMM 1 produced 2 long beeps, however putting either of them in DIMM 2 produced 2 short beeps, still leaving the display black in both cases. And yes, the difference between the long and short beeps was very clear and distinct.

At this point, would it be reasonable to assume the motherboard is the issue? Because if it were anything else, I don't see why using DIMM 1 vs DIMM 2 would generate different beep codes, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.
If that's a dual DIMM socket board each socket is connected to a different MCU channel in the CPU, suggesting a defective CPU is still a possibility. But not a certainty since a defective VRM on the motherboard or even PSU could be the root cause of the CPU misbehaving.

Unfortunately you need to be able to swap parts (memory, CPU mainly but PSU and GPU too, if needed) into another known good system... or from a known good system.... to rule them out.

Apr 22, 2023
If that's a dual DIMM socket board each socket is connected to a different MCU channel in the CPU, suggesting a defective CPU is still a possibility. But not a certainty since a defective VRM on the motherboard or even PSU could be the root cause of the CPU misbehaving.

Unfortunately you need to be able to swap parts (memory, CPU mainly but PSU and GPU too, if needed) into another known good system... or from a known good system.... to rule them out.
I have another system I could test most of those with, except for the RAM. I guess testing everything else manually is inevitable if it ends up being the mobo. But also, based on what I've said, wouldn't the GPU be pretty much ruled out already? As well as the RAM sticks, except if they were both faulty?

...wouldn't the GPU be pretty much ruled out already? As well as the RAM sticks, except if they were both faulty?
I wouldn't say ruled out just less likely and they are the easiest to rule out absolutely by swapping into a known good system. After them the CPU's more difficult to swap out but if it works in another system you'll know it's either the motherboard or PSU with fairly high confidence at that point.

Considering how cheap the components many pre-builts have in them I'd go with buying a proper PSU first. If you know the brand/model and specs of the PSU you might post it here to get some feed back.

Last edited: