Question What do I do after an EVGA power supply failure

Sep 15, 2019
I recently moved my EVGA 450BT from my main computer to an old pavilion so I could install Arch and make a Minecraft server. Everything was running fine, I got Arch installed, and everything was up and running. I shut down the computer overnight. The next day when I hit the power button, nothing lit up or spun, instead there was a fizzing noise. I immediately pulled the plug and ran outside. A thick white smoke started pouring out of the PSU.After the smoke stopped, I grabbed the computer and threw it outside. I'm not sure why it failed, as the power supply was running just fine for 2 years in my main computer. Where should I go from here, is there any way I can get something back?
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately the "worked fine for 2 years" is a common thought in PSUs and is precisely what is the problem. All PSUs have a shelf life, and many of us have plenty of PSUs that work fine for years, then pop and bang. Even more so when they are not good quality.

The EVGA BT is not good quality from my understanding as is one of their budget lines (unfortunately EVGA make a ton of trash).

If it is still under warranty, you can get it replaced or at least somewhat refunded, but i would not use a BT PSU in my system. The rest of the components may be OK, but poor PSUs have a tendency to wipe out other components when they blow. Only way you'd know is by retesting them in a known working system (and a good quality PSU).

Wolfshadw

Titan
It could be that the motherboard of the old Pavilion was electrically different from standard motherboards and it was only a matter of time before something gave out.

You can try another power supply in that system, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have several to spare. If possible, I'd try and replace the original power supply and see if the system still boots up. It may be just the power supply blew or it may be that it took the entire system with it.

-Wolf sends

I would see if the PSU is under warranty, and then get a replacement.

If not, throw it away and get another PSU to test if the system still works. The failed EVGA could have killed other components in the system.

EVGA makes a bunch of crappy power supplies, and the 500BT is one of them.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Sep 15, 2019
Unfortunately the "worked fine for 2 years" is a common thought in PSUs and is precisely what is the problem. All PSUs have a shelf life, and many of us have plenty of PSUs that work fine for years, then pop and bang. Even more so when they are not good quality.

The EVGA BT is not good quality from my understanding as is one of their budget lines (unfortunately EVGA make a ton of trash).

If it is still under warranty, you can get it replaced or at least somewhat refunded, but i would not use a BT PSU in my system. The rest of the components may be OK, but poor PSUs have a tendency to wipe out other components when they blow. Only way you'd know is by retesting them in a known working system (and a good quality PSU).

It is still under warranty, going to try to get a refund if I can. The fluid got all over the motherboard so it is most likely dead

TRENDING THREADS