[SOLVED] What do I do after resetting my pc?

namirai

Prominent
May 1, 2019
Hello,

I want to reset my pc, and I have some questions about it.
  • I have an ssd that runs windows and a hard drive that I use to store games. If I reset my pc does it also wipe all the data on my hard drive?
  • After resetting my pc what should I do? Do I only need to reinstall drivers?
  • Is there any other suggestions on what I should do after resetting?

Solution
"Resetting" is, to me, a waste of time in most cases. Resetting usually infers, for most people, putting the exact same bloatware and problems that it came with from the factory right back on there if it was a prebuilt system and it might mean putting the same problem back on there if it wasn't a prebuilt as well.

A CLEAN install is much preferred, because it leaves nothing of the old installation, including the old boot partition, behind, so long as it is done properly.

In either case it should not affect the game files on your hard drive other than you will need to again install your game launchers and point them towards your game files on the secondary drive.

After installation of Windows you will want to go to the manufacturers...
"Resetting" is, to me, a waste of time in most cases. Resetting usually infers, for most people, putting the exact same bloatware and problems that it came with from the factory right back on there if it was a prebuilt system and it might mean putting the same problem back on there if it wasn't a prebuilt as well.

A CLEAN install is much preferred, because it leaves nothing of the old installation, including the old boot partition, behind, so long as it is done properly.

In either case it should not affect the game files on your hard drive other than you will need to again install your game launchers and point them towards your game files on the secondary drive.

After installation of Windows you will want to go to the manufacturers website (Or do it ahead of time for convenience) and download, then install, the latest drivers for the onboard network adapters (ethernet/lan and if present, any WiFi) and audio. If this is a Z390 motherboard you will also want to download and install the chipset drivers. If it is NOT a Z390 chipset then you will want to go to either the Intel or AMD website and download/install the latest motherboard chipset drivers for your motherboard chipset. Intel and AMD generally have the MOST recent, advanced, stable chipset drivers for most chipsets. For laptops, stick to the chipset drivers found on the laptop product support page, as they are normally product specific when it comes to some features.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution
Back up anything/everything you don't want to lose. This includes documents, pictures, videos, save-games (the actual save-game file, not the whole game itself), etc etc to an external drive or cloud storage. Even if you choose the option to not delete your files, it's good practice to have a backup just in case.

Reactions: Darkbreeze