Question What do I do now?

Jan 12, 2020
I've just finished building my first non pre-built computer but I don't know what to do now, how do I install Windows, how do I set it up, etc. As I said it's my first non pre-built computer and I don't know what to do.

USAFRet

Titan
I've just finished building my first non pre-built computer but I don't know what to do now, how do I install Windows, how do I set it up, etc. As I said it's my first non pre-built computer and I don't know what to do.
To start, give us a list of all your parts.

Jan 12, 2020
I wasn't expecting such a quick response but I have to do something at the moment so I will have to give you the list of parts later is that ok?

Jan 12, 2020
I have a ryzen 3 CPU
x1 8gb Corsair ram
x1 unknown 2gb ram
MX330-G COUGAR case
EVGA 700 watt PSU
And I'm currently deciding on motherboards at the moment, does that effect anything? If not that's the hardware.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a ryzen 3 CPU
x1 8gb Corsair ram
x1 unknown 2gb ram
MX330-G COUGAR case
EVGA 700 watt PSU
And I'm currently deciding on motherboards at the moment, does that effect anything? If not that's the hardware.
Without the motherboard, not much you can do.

But:
RAM - Mixing RAM sticks is always a crapshoot. With Ryzen even more so. That combination may fail to work
PSU - Which specific one? EVGA makes some crappy ones
Drives - What ones?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't do anything without a motherboard as its what everything plugs into. You need to know what motherboard before you know what ram on a ryzen PC, not other way around. Its a common cause of problems on Ryzen.

So hope you can return ram as it might end up being safest move.

just my 2 cents :)

Jan 12, 2020
Not embarrassed to say I don't know what a drive is, also I'm using the RAM sticks in a different computer currently and it works fine, furthermore regarding the EVGA psu, it is the bronze 700 BR. I have a motherboard in it right now but for some reason it's not working. It's a micro ATX and I think thats why. Im going to get a new motherboard and I'll come back after. Is that alright.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not embarrassed to say I don't know what a drive is,

Windows needs to be installed on an ssd (solid state drive) or HDD (Hard disc drive) before you can use it. You cannot just run it off the USB
ideally you have 2, a 250gb or larger ssd for windows and a 2tb or bigger hdd for games and everything else.

these are the parts you need to make a PC
Case.
Motherboard.
CPU [Processor]
GPU [Graphics Card] (if no integrated GPU)
RAM [Memory]
Storage Device (SSD, NVME SSD, HDD)
Cooling (CPU, Chassis)
PSU [Power Supply Unit]

Depending on which Ryzen or not as to if you need a GPU.

It is not best time to be making a PC but it really helps to have a friend with you that knows something about making them. Going in without knowing what you are doing could end expensively.

ryzen is going to need DDR4 ram; likely, any old ram you have is ddr3 which is not compatible.

Post a list of the make/model of ALL your parts to insure that you have compatible parts and that you have forgotten nothing,
As a first time builder, this might help:
MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.ebay.com/p/4in1-PC-Powe...or-Computer/631889283?iid=142232821294&chn=ps

1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
  1. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
  2. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
  3. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
  4. Install windows.
  5. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
  1. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft security essentials is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
  2. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
  1. Update windows to currency.
  2. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
  3. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.