What do I do/run/test/check once OS is installed and running?

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hello all!

So...
I will be putting together my first system tomorrow.
(Shuld be an interesting experience... :-/)

I figured that I would start this thread now to have a few responses ready for when the time actually comes rather than having to post and wait for responses after I'm ready.

Basically.
What do I need to do/run/test/check once the computer is up and running with an OS installed etc.?
I've heard a lot of program names being thrown around here while I've been reading through... But I'm not sure if they are only for when there is a problem or if they should be run straight away.
So... Yeah... What are the steps that you all take after building a new system to ensure everything is running as it should and acceptably.
Please... Sesame Street instruction would be great. As I said... First timer!
:)

I'm sure I'll start a thread tomorrow with issues I'm having while building, but this is me being optimistic and posting for the future.
Thanks for any help!
Cheers.
-B

Solution
Read through these two sticky guides before your build...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Test your system:
■Run Prime95’s Blend Test for at least one to two hours and use one of the following programs to monitor your temps; Real Temp, SpeedFan or Core Temp. This will help determine if you system is running too hot and is unstable.
■Run 3DMark’s Vantage or 3DMark06 to benchmark your system to see how your new build compares to similar systems.
■Run MemTest86+ for seven passes to check your memory for any possible errors. (Some recommend running this prior to windows installation, which is an option)

tecmo34

Administrator
Read through these two sticky guides before your build...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Test your system:
■Run Prime95’s Blend Test for at least one to two hours and use one of the following programs to monitor your temps; Real Temp, SpeedFan or Core Temp. This will help determine if you system is running too hot and is unstable.
■Run 3DMark’s Vantage or 3DMark06 to benchmark your system to see how your new build compares to similar systems.
■Run MemTest86+ for seven passes to check your memory for any possible errors. (Some recommend running this prior to windows installation, which is an option)

Solution

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
@ Alvin Smith
Cheers for that link.
I actually already have it in my bookmarks! :)

Saw it the other day and thought it could be useful, but started my thread anyway because I wasn't sure if it was the exact same question.
Wasn't certain (and still am not) whether extreme stress testing is the same as just basic stuff to run after a new build.
Thanks!

@ tecm34
Thanks for those links.
Again... Already bookmarked.
And planning on using them (along with like 4 other guides) as I build. Haha

Cheers for those programs.
Once it is up and built I will run them and post some results here to see what people think...

@batuchka
Thanks for that.
Appreciate it.
I assume that the MoBo manual will tell me all about that and how to do it?
(Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R)

@ zipzoomflyhigh
Ah.
That is very useful!

It is not quite what I was asking in my original questions.
But it is very useful and something I probably wouldn't have thought about! (Well... Number 1 and 4 at least).

@ Alvin Smith
Ok.
I will keep that in mind.

Already read!
And will reread while building most definitely!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers
-B

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
@zipzoomflyghigh

I'm sorry.
I was not aware that what I am looking for is called a burn in testing program.
(What is burn in testing program?)

However, as I said in my last post, what you wrote was very useful anyway!
Without that I would have probably had to make another post when I was having issued due to drivers.

Thanks
-B

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Over 80% of all failures which may occur within 5 years, happen inside the first 90 days.

I have worked at several corporations that actually do 72 hour burn-test, inside a heated locker, before shipping .... This cuts down on "Next Day" On-Site service, ... A company like HP may have to sell 50 (more/extra) computers just to cover the cost of one service call. So ... If a customer DID purchase premium field support, ... the (literal) burn-in (while running diags/benchmarks under load) is enacted, where it may save the builder money, overall.

MilSpec standards have all sorts of build/drop/vibration test requirements ... we all know this ... For the most extreme standards, you might even force 4 of 5 good components to fail, just to vet the "strongest" of them.

I mean ... I think (I KNOW) NASA has large vacuum chambers, that simulate extreme temps of outer space ... gotta figger a hi fail rate there. I have a photo of my (then) 14yo kid standing in the doorway of the SPACE ENVIRONMENT SIMULATION LABORATORY "seal/hatchway" ... We burn AND freeze entire spacecraft (or modules) in there ... that's about the most extreme testing, there is ...
... umless, of course, you want to talk about the electronics which guide GPS mortar, artillery, and naval shells ... and for systems we should not even brush upon.

My point? ... If you are really into burn-testing to the point of coaxing some early failures, with a simple desktop ... just disconnect your *CASE* (not CPU fans!) fans and run full-load benchmarks for, .... say ... a week. .. OC.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS ... it is not worth the trouble and expense ... restocking fees ... shipping, ... whatever ... unless you are using for FAA or 911 dispatch, etc.

You know the old saying ... "If it ain't broke ... "

= Al =

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
^^^

So... Is this a normal thing for the standard user to do?
Or is "literal burn-in" just for companies.
I honestly didn't know there was so much to it. I was just asking if there was anything that needed to/should be done after a build to check it's all running up to spec and as it should.

What is MilSpec standards?
Obviously we don't ALL know this... Haha.

When you say making it fail...
Does this mean fail to the point of the component never working again? Or just making the system crash once?

Well...
I wouldn't say Im really into burn-testing.
As I said... I don't even know what it is...
What do you mean by disconnect the case? Are you saying to just run the whole thing outside of the case?

So...
You don't reccomend doing anything you wrote in your post?
Um... Ok..

-B

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
No! ... there are some RAM and OC stability tests ... If you are going to OC then, you would want to run those ...

... My only point in ALL THAT is that there is no limit to how anal or extreme a person may choose to be.

Simply build your PC and use it ... end of story.

= Al =

Balthraka

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
@ Alvin Smith.
Ok... So...
You're saying that I should not bother to check anything after it's built?
Cool.

I think I'll probably still try the stuff that everyone else suggested just so I know it's all running as it should.

@ zipzoomflyhigh.
Ok. Cool.
If I'm building it myself though, do I need to do any of it?

I thought I understood what I was asking and what I needed to do, but now I'm just confused again...
:-(

-B

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Here is the deal ...

If your RAM is 1600c8 or faster, or if you have any reason to think it might not be entirely stable (intermittent hangs), then, sure, run overnight mem tests and, if necessary, adjust voltages or RMA RAM ...

... Same goes when OCing the proc, or GPU ... You are just trying to see if it will sustain that, under load, and, to be certain, in a room where ambient temps are around as hot as they might get, if your household AC breaks down ... ~88'F ...

... If it survives a protracted session at full load and at max expected ambient temp ... then it should continue to do so. ... does that not sound very simple?

= Al =