[SOLVED] What do I need as minimum requirements to power a AMD FX 9370

Joshua Alves

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
My motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth M5A990FX my graphics card is a Radeon RX 580 dual graphics card with 4 gb Gddr5 my power supply is a bronze corsair cx600 and my heatsink and fan assembly is a cooler master Hyper evo 212 LED my case is a dark flash phantom case I wanted to ask one of u guys a question cause I'm skeptical about getting an And FX 9370 cpu is this a good modern rig for running emulation for gaming or not and will my cpu burn out other components

Solution
So far as FX motherboards go, your 990FX is a good one.
For the processors, the single thread performance of FX-4300, FX-6300, and FX-8320 are all exactly the same with a rating about 1400.
The difference is in how many threads you get. 4/6/8 respectively.
Few games can effectively use more than 6 threads, mostly multiplayer.
That said, any FX-8xxx processor is probably what you want to buy.
I don't think the price difference will be a factor.
The FX9370 is a very highly overclocked FX-8xxx with the attendant power and heat issues. Not recommended.

kanewolf

Titan
My motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth M5A990FX my graphics card is a Radeon RX 580 dual graphics card with 4 gb Gddr5 my power supply is a bronze corsair cx600 and my heatsink and fan assembly is a cooler master Hyper evo 212 LED my case is a dark flash phantom case I wanted to ask one of u guys a question cause I'm skeptical about getting an And FX 9370 cpu is this a good modern rig for running emulation for gaming or not and will my cpu burn out other components
The AMD 9xxx CPUs were NEVER a good idea. AMD recommended a 1000W power supply and liquid cooling for the 9000 series CPUs.

DSzymborski

Titan
What do you have now? The 9370 and 9590 are two of the worst consumer CPUs ever sold, unstable heavily overclocked FX-8350s. Frequently, people have trouble getting this to work on any hardware and have to underclock them to make them essentially stock 8350s. They're also not particularly good performers and will be outclassed by practically every Ryzen and Intel CPU sold today.

If all this doesn't put you off the idea, you have to buy some new hardware. The low-quality PSU and budget cooler you have are completely inappropriate for trying to wrangle these nightmare CPUs. You need a top-of-the-line air cooler or a higher-end AIO plus a very powerful PSU with tight voltage regulation to have any hope of keeping this stable. So you'll have to budget an additional $250-$300 or so for these parts as well.

Generally speaking, the scenario to use these CPUs is a madman holding your family hostage and demanding that to release them, you must build him the most disappointing 2013 PC imaginable.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
obviously you don't own this yet, what kind of budget are you looking at? you can likely upgrade to a more modern combo for a few hundred bucks if you do it right. you would need a new mobo/cpu/ram combo but it can be done for pretty cheap if you know what you are doing :)

a budget and we can easily help you pick some more modern parts that will outperform anything you could buy for that mobo. for instance here is $300 for an upgrade you'll be very happy gaming with.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.96 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $311.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-27 12:20 EST-0500

Reactions: Corwin65
DO NOT spend a dime on upgrading your FX system.
A FX-9370 has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 5976 with a single thread rating of 1670. The single thread rating is most important for games.

By comparison a modern $100 i3-10100 processor has 8 threads also with a rating of 8949 and a single thread rating of 2648.
Add $75 for any lga1200 motherboard and $65 for a ddr4 16gb kit.

Joshua Alves

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
Well I don't have one for my pc build atm I'm looking for one to fit an AM3+ socket I was going to go with either the amd FX 9590 or the Amd phenom X6 1100T but since there telling me it's not such a good idea for a 9590 build

Last edited:
I would just get a 8320 or fx 8350, The 1100T is a good chip and all, but lacks some instruction sets to even launch some games, I wouldn't get the FX9590 per say as even the strongest of motherboards have issues with them, but I'd personally get t he FX9370 over the 1100T if you can get the 9370 cheap that is, it'll out perform the 1100TT and has the instructions sets needed. I wouldn't spend much on the FX though, I recommend that you do save up.

It took my FX 8320 at 4.6ghz to beat my 1100T at 4ghz. the 1100T at stock the FX 8320 beat it, but not by much.

So far as FX motherboards go, your 990FX is a good one.
For the processors, the single thread performance of FX-4300, FX-6300, and FX-8320 are all exactly the same with a rating about 1400.
The difference is in how many threads you get. 4/6/8 respectively.
Few games can effectively use more than 6 threads, mostly multiplayer.
That said, any FX-8xxx processor is probably what you want to buy.
I don't think the price difference will be a factor.
The FX9370 is a very highly overclocked FX-8xxx with the attendant power and heat issues. Not recommended.

Solution