What do I need for a video Editing Computer?

Dash46

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
I have a few question about building a computer for video editing. I have built a computer thanks to a friend giving me some of the hardware as gifts. The problem is it not made for video editing as I had hope. As an example, It lag when using Sony Vegas (video editor). The CPU Usage for using Sony Vegas when I am not doing anything is 10%. The GPU is 7%. My laptop, which I have used for video editing in the past, has a CPU usage of 0% when using Sony Vegas on stand still. There is no GPU. The reason why I want use a computer tower over a laptop is because laptop have been known to overheat over time and you can improve on a tower computer.
Here are the hardware components for both computers.

Toshiba Satellite S55t (laptop)
Intel Core I7-4700MQ 2.40Ghz
8GB of Ram
64 Bit using Window 7
No GPU

Tower Computer
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor
8GB of Ram
64 Bit using Window 10
Geforce GTS 450 Graphic Card

I know my GPU is an old one. I was planning on upgrading it when I got the chance. I figured it was better than nothing at the time. I figure the first thing, I need to do is get a better processor to have better CPU Performance. If you thank the graphic card is what holding up my CPU, I would like to know.
When looking into the AMD Ryzen 3 I thought it would be sligtly better than my laptop's Intel core I7, but it was not. I got the AMD Ryzen 3 and motherboard from my friend when he didn't want his computer anymore. I have also wonder if Window 10 is the culprit as it maybe harder on the processor than Window 7.

My Questions:
Does an old GPU effect processor greatly?

Solution
You should need to buy gtx 750 ti or gtx 1050 ti or rx 550 for fast rendering.

And if your processor ha e more cpu cores it is good for editing. You need 6 or 8 core cpu for this

And you need more ram for long video editing.

Better to build a new desktop with AMD ryzen 5 1400 with 8 or 16 gb ram and a gtx 1050 ti 4 GB Oc

ashifkhanoppoa37

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2018
You should need to buy gtx 750 ti or gtx 1050 ti or rx 550 for fast rendering.

And if your processor ha e more cpu cores it is good for editing. You need 6 or 8 core cpu for this

And you need more ram for long video editing.

Better to build a new desktop with AMD ryzen 5 1400 with 8 or 16 gb ram and a gtx 1050 ti 4 GB Oc

Solution