What do I need for dual monitor setup

beachum

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I current have a 28" TV that I am using as a monitor and was thinking about switching to a dual monitor setup, so ican have a game or whatever on my main monitor then whatever else on the second screen. However I don't really know what I need for this type of thing. I also do t really know what monitors to get with about a $200 per monitor budget

Solution

HomeandOfficeCS

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Assuming you have a GPU since you're going to be gaming, just plug the second monitor into the graphics card, just like the TV. And there are plenty of great monitors for under $200.

Do you have a preference on monitor? IPS/TN, high refresh rate, adjustable, size, etc?

beachum

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
My specs are
I5-4670k, asus mobo, r9-280x 750psu, 8gb ram,

I have never had a monitor before, I was thinking probably 24-26 inches since my 28 tv feel alittle big and I'm looking for a monitor with a really good quality picture that has a fast response time

HomeandOfficeCS

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
That will certainly support dual monitors :) Just plug both TV and monitor into the graphics card and it'll work without having to mess with anything.

As for the monitor, I would go for a good IPS panel. Gets you a great picture, and with something like below, you get good response times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005619

Both are good for the money, I would personally go with the ASUS. 5ms response is more than fast enough, unless you're like a professional gamer and need every bit of help you can get lol IPS panels don't really get much faster than 5ms or so.

beachum

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

I was planning on switching to two monitors, and then using my Tv in a different room as a Tv, will i still be able to use two monitors even with 1 hdmi, 1 dvi-i dual link, and two small ports that are smaller than a usb ( not sure what they are called sorry)

HomeandOfficeCS

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

Of course :) Most new monitors come with HDMI and/or DVI hookups, so you're good there.

ANd the ports you're referring to are called Mini Displayports.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS