[SOLVED] What Do I Need For Internet Satellite (StarLink)

pc-hardware

Reputable
Jan 29, 2020
Hi Dear Friends. I Have some Questions:

1- What Do I Need For Internet Satellite (StarLink) or Other Companies?
2- Can I Upload the data with Internet Satellite or I can only get the data (only download) ?

Solution
I bet it will late 2022 before they even think to offer it where you are. They had a list of test countries going live end of 2021 but I think italy was the only one in your area of the world.
Equipment is back ordered even in the USA to late 2021 so the satellites maybe in orbit but they are having issues getting the equipment for people to use in their house. This likely is partially related to all the other electronics shortages.

It is still very expensive, almost $1000 up front costs and it is said starlink is still losing huge money on the equipment at that price.

Will be interesting to see if some countries ban this equipment since it can get past government firewall like china has.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi Dear Friends. I Have some Questions:

1- What Do I Need For Internet Satellite (StarLink) or Other Companies?
2- Can I Upload the data with Internet Satellite or I can only get the data (only download) ?
  1. You need whatever is in the kit they send you. https://www.starlink.com/
  2. Internet functionality is inherently a 2 way conversation. There is no such thing as 'only download'.

Reactions: pc-hardware
I bet it will late 2022 before they even think to offer it where you are. They had a list of test countries going live end of 2021 but I think italy was the only one in your area of the world.
Equipment is back ordered even in the USA to late 2021 so the satellites maybe in orbit but they are having issues getting the equipment for people to use in their house. This likely is partially related to all the other electronics shortages.

It is still very expensive, almost $1000 up front costs and it is said starlink is still losing huge money on the equipment at that price.

Will be interesting to see if some countries ban this equipment since it can get past government firewall like china has.

Reactions: pc-hardware
Solution

pc-hardware

Reputable
Jan 29, 2020

Thank you.
I Visited starlink website and its says: hardware is 500 USD and 99 USD monthly. is it right? so its under 1000 USD.

Last edited:
It's $500 for upfront equipment with a basic triangle mount. Some people spend a little more for different types of mounts to mount on their roof. Bill likely included installation labor costs as well. But if you do it yourself it's $500 for the equipment.

The starlink kit comes with everything you need to get started, including a cheap wifi router. It'll work and feel just like normal internet with low latency. The only problem is trying to get a clear view of the sky with no obstructions. In the United States, this is much easier because our houses and lot sizes are generally larger. If you live in a denser population and neighbors homes or trees obstruct your view to the sky, this can be a problem.