Question What do I need to add immersive surround sound system to my computer?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, what do I need to add immersive surround sound to my computer system? I want to feel things moving around and above me like watching Atmos supported movies. My 4K HDR TV has HDMI 2.0 ARC support. Don't know if it is useful but my motherboard has 8 CH Audio with DTS Support.

Since you have HDMI ARC just connect the PC to an HDMI port and the HDMI ARC to the TV on a receiver that supports ARC, and you should be able to properly decode surround without any problem.

I am using an old i3 system with a gtx760 2gb on my 4k set, and unfortunately my trusty old Onkyo 5.1 does not have ARC so I am stuck in the stone age with an optical cable from my TV to the Onkyo. Decodes 5.1 well enough for my needs, maybe I will upgrade at some point.

Bottom line, you just need an ARC capable receiver and speakers to connect up your PC and TV. Or do it old-school like I am doing and connect optical out from your TV to a non-ARC receiver. Should not have to connect the PC directly to a sound source, it's a hassle since most TVs are "smart" and can do apps that render the PC / receiver connection useless.