What do i need to install an ethernet outlet

rhyanandrews40

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Hi, i am currently using wireless connection and it is terrible, i just can't find a wireless adapter that is strong enough to stream and play games while on discord, my internet speeds should be good enough for these tasks, but my wireless just isn't, i need to know what i need to buy to install an ethernet outlet and how to wire it up, im pretty sure it cant be way too difficult but i obviously need to know what to buy and where i can get it from, im just looking to wire an ethernet cable from my router which is on the same floor in the room next to me about 5-10m away, it is not a long distance to run the cable and i know that our walls are hollow on the inside because i accidentally pushed my door open too fast and the handle went through the wall, i had to cover that with polyfiller but its good now, but if anyone can help with this stuff it would be appreciated :)

Solution
I'd recommend watching some youtube videos on how to install gang boxes.

measure it out so it doesn't look bad. compare distance from baseboard to another outlet cover.
if the cover is the same size you can take off another cover and measure to the bottom of that gang box.
the cover goes past the gang box.

a laser level is cheap and generally a nice thing to have. make your outline level with the other covers on the same wall.
a drill + hand saw is good. if you don't use a mech saw often you might overcut.
the gangbox tabs go outside the hole. undercut is better than overcut.

buy some cat5e UTP keystones. some brands come with a plastic punchdown tool or you can buy a nice one.

things you don't want to do is drill straight into...
If you want nasty just punch holes and run a ethernet patch cable.

You local home improvement store likely carries everything you might need. What you need are what are called rj45 keystones and some ethernet cable. Many of the keystones come with plastic punch down tools. It is pretty easy you match the wires to the colors on the keystone.

I suspect actually getting the cable run will be much harder than you suspect. Unless you can go directly through the wall on both sides you are going to have to drill through wood studs or more likely drill up into a attic or something

Go to Home Depot and...

An appropriate length cat5e/6 cable patch cable. RJ45 plugs on both ends.
2 cat5e/6 RJ45 jacks, the one with jack on both ends. Sometimes it comes with plate, if not purchase plates separately.
2 OLD WORK electrical boxes, allows mounting over drywall hole.

That's it.

rhyanandrews40

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

Our house is a 3 floor house and im trying to get an ethernet wire from one room on the 3rd floor to a room next to it about 2-3 metres away

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Well the quick and easy way would be to poke a hole straight through the drywall and into the next room and run the ethernet cable. It won't look very professional doing it that way. As someone else suggested, go to home depot You can get a 2x4 Old work electrical box with a tab to mount it directly on the drywall without a stud, then you can get the outlets suggested for the ethernet connection.
They are called "old work boxes"
https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-1-2-in-Deep-Gangable-Switch-Box-with-NMSC-Clamps-and-Old-Work-Clips-20-Pack-512/202067063
(you can buy them separately... just two boxes)
Ethernet wall plate:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-1-Gang-Ethernet-Wall-Plate-White-2-Pack-B2168C002/305139254

I'd recommend watching some youtube videos on how to install gang boxes.

measure it out so it doesn't look bad. compare distance from baseboard to another outlet cover.
if the cover is the same size you can take off another cover and measure to the bottom of that gang box.
the cover goes past the gang box.

a laser level is cheap and generally a nice thing to have. make your outline level with the other covers on the same wall.
a drill + hand saw is good. if you don't use a mech saw often you might overcut.
the gangbox tabs go outside the hole. undercut is better than overcut.

buy some cat5e UTP keystones. some brands come with a plastic punchdown tool or you can buy a nice one.

things you don't want to do is drill straight into a stud, a pipe, or a wire. esp the wire.
turn off the breaker if you think a wire is near it to avoid bad things.

Solution