[SOLVED] What do I need to live stream to You Tube

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We have a Panasonic AG-HMC40 AVCCAM. We connected it directly to the sound board via standard microphone 3 prong cables for sound capture. From the camera we plugged it into a laptop computer via HDMI. Nothing showed on the laptop yet the test recording worked on playback. What did we forget to do? We want to {live} stream our church services to You Tube. Thank you.

Solution
We have a Panasonic AG-HMC40 AVCCAM. We connected it directly to the sound board via standard microphone 3 prong cables for sound capture. From the camera we plugged it into a laptop computer via HDMI. Nothing showed on the laptop yet the test recording worked on playback. What did we forget to do? We want to {live} stream our church services to You Tube. Thank you.

Your laptop HDMI port is an output not an input. If you want to use your existing camera you need to get a video capture device that sends the video from the camera to the computer in a format it can understand, then recording and streaming software can use that input. That equipment is not very cheap however.

Your camera has a USB connection, some of the...
From the camera we plugged it into a laptop computer via HDMI. Nothing showed on the laptop yet the test recording worked on playback.
What did you use to record with?
Usually you would get yourself a special streaming software like the free OBS that would give you a live picture on your own screen in addition to the stream, you have to set up were to get the picture and sound from and the quality settings that your church's internet can handle,and of course you would need a valid youtube account that is qualified for streaming and enter that as well to the OBS settings.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853834?hl=en
There are plenty of tutorials out there for OBS and there are also other free alternatives OBS is just one of the most well known.

If you have a half way decent nvidia card then geforce experience(shadowplay) is a pretty easy way to setup for live stream.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As I wrote, we're using a panasonic ag-hmc40 camera. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "What did use to record with?" I DL'd OBS and it doesn't see the panny. Neither does Win10.

As I wrote, we're using a panasonic ag-hmc40 camera. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "What did use to record with?" I DL'd OBS and it doesn't see the panny. Neither does Win10.
I did mean what software did you use,you did say that the test recording worked on playback so what did you record that with since that's the driver and is what is going to give the image to OBS.
If you go to add source in OBS and add video capture device it will show you settings to select any input device that has supported drivers.
Otherwise you will have to get an external video capture device capable of the quality you would like to provide a driver for OBS to use.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, Terry. I've a feeling we'll need to get a different camera as the feed from the Panny didn't show up on two different computers. Either that or get some sort of adapter that will connect to a component video terminal and to a port on the computer.

Thanks, Terry. I've a feeling we'll need to get a different camera as the feed from the Panny didn't show up on two different computers. Either that or get some sort of adapter that will connect to a component video terminal and to a port on the computer.
Yeah it's definitely going to be easier and cheaper to just get a decent webcam.
Otherwise the options are between a cheap USB grabber that won't be able to do 1080p due to the limitations of USB or get something expensive like an elgato.

Your laptop HDMI port is an output not an input. If you want to use your existing camera you need to get a video capture device that sends the video from the camera to the computer in a format it can understand, then recording and streaming software can use that input. That equipment is not very cheap however.

Your camera has a USB connection, some of the cameras can use that to interface with a computer using software from the camera vendor, read your model manual and search the web a bit for that model see if yours can do this.

Last edited:
Solution